why is os 9 still on the new computers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Im just wondering why new apple computers still have Classic(os 9). Is there something better in os 9 then 0s X? Do they have os 9 still out for the people who don't understand todays technology? Is os X more complicated then os 9 so the people who don't understand can still use a computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    all computers ship with OS X installed, OS 9 only works as classic now, and it's still there because there *are* still a couple applications that haven't been ported over yet that professionals need.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It's because OS 9 is necessary to use the Classic environment. It doesn't hurt anyone to have it installed. Many people never use it. But a few people do use it, sometimes quite a lot, so it's there. However, it's not intended for "people who don't understand today's technology," since no Mac sold now can even boot into OS 9 (other than the PowerMac G4). It's just there in case an OS X user still has some OS 9 applications they need to run.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I just wanted to point out that in the pre-press and graphic design industry (at least in BC) it is still very much a Quark 4 / OS 9 world out there.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Im just wondering why new apple computers still have Classic(os 9). Is there something better in os 9 then 0s X? Do they have os 9 still out for the people who don't understand todays technology? Is os X more complicated then os 9 so the people who don't understand can still use a computer?

Actually, it is all about Apple maintaining legacy support for old programs, which developers have not updated to OS X, as has been stated previously.

Most people who have used a mac in the last two years know this... OS 9.2.2 runs as a sort of emulation environment within OS X. Just like you can run OS 7 and 8 programs as well.

Classic (OS 9.2.2 and before) is one of the five environments available in Mac OS X; the others are Carbon, Cocoa, BSD, and Java.

Rather than OS 9 being a full os block by itself, it is one of many blocks that make up OS X. Read the basics HERE

(This is one google search away. Not worth a thread by itself, IMHO... )
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

(This is one google search away. Not worth a thread by itself, IMHO... )

most things are...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

most things are...

Just not this one...

Google: "Results 1 - 10 of about 1,690,000. Search took 0.60 seconds."
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I know I was thinking that the other day, When people are having problems or trying to figure something out. Why not use google? I mean the other day I was wondering how you fast user switch to another user with out being prompted for a password, Google search, First one in the list told me what I needed.

Anyways its a good thing classic is installed on the new machines or else I would'nt be able to play Games like these:

The Macintosh Garden

Though I find that most of them are so old that they run so fast that its impossible to play even on my 4 year old G4.