AO Home Improvement Show Awards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thought I'd seen everything HGTV, TLC, PBS and local channels have to offer. Have in the last 30 days discovered "In A Fix" and now "Monster House". It's an industry. Maybe it has it's own awards, maybe not. Fellow home improvement show addicts, nominate your own categories, shows, hosts, designers, cast members etc. Possibilities are endless. Just a few of mine before cutting it short to watch Best Cop Show, NYPD Blue...

Hottest Cast Member: Jenny, "In A Fix"

Most Buxom Designer: Genevieve Gorder, "Trading Spaces"

Best Landscape Designer on "Curb Appeal": Pat Wagner

Favorite Weekend Landscaping Show: Ken Bastida

Most Unconventional(Not a Bad Thing)Designer: Hildi San Tomas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Genevieve is da hottie, hands down.

Hildi seems to take any comment by a homeowner of "I don't like..." as a challenge to ram it down their throats. :P Does anyone else remember the godawful straw walls she did? *shudder*
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Television: $300

Entertainment Center: $150

Cable subscription: $40

Couch: $200

Having grown men admit they watch design shows: Priceless.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Genevieve is da hottie, hands down.

Hildi seems to take any comment by a homeowner of "I don't like..." as a challenge to ram it down their throats. :P Does anyone else remember the godawful straw walls she did? *shudder*

Genevieve's hot no doubtaboutit . Jeez I haven't seen HST's straw walls...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh they were horrid. The family had two small children, one with asthma, and they told her they hated yellow.

So she epoxied straw to the walls.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Television: $300

Entertainment Center: $150

Cable subscription: $40

Couch: $200

Having grown men admit they watch design shows: Priceless.

Most Erudite Host: Joe Ruggiero, "Homes Across America"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Hostess with the mostest. - Paige Davis.... mmmmmm... perky.

(good thing pscates isn't a regular in AO anymore, he'd be jealous)

Best Female use of Power Tools - Orbital Sander girl from this classic renovation video

• Reply 7 of 8
    Paige is great, but her counterpart on the british version CHANGING ROOMS, Carol Smillie is awesome. she was voted 1998's rear of the year!

plus she works harder than Paige.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    These shows are almost all awful. I mean really horrendous. My oldest sister serious thinks this stuff is great design, and her home looks like a car filed with materials for various epidosdes crashe dito her house.

Queer Eye isn't bad as far as the interiors go. The guy sort of does the same thing every time, but it's a decent formula. The only HGTV show worth watching is extreme homes, and even that, the narration is pretty worthless. These shows all talk down to the viewer, like they know nothing and can never be helped in that regard. They're also all about decoration, rarely does anything substantially improve a space or change it really. Poor craftsmanship is cherished, lighting is effectively ignored, and all the fittings and surfaces are paltry and have no sense of scale. The designs are always these Rube Goldberg rationales with lots of fussy little details that don't have any common idea, or the central idea is taken too literally and so poorly executed to even have kitch value. So many of these types of projects would be more efective if they took away some stuff, improved the light and more clearly defined the spaces rather than junk them up in the name of "character."

...and why am I telling you all this?