An unlikely switcher story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My boss has never been much of a computer guy, so he bought a Dell about a year ago to get onto the internet and things like that. After about a month he started complaining to me about viruses and popups and things like that, and that his computer would crash constantly. (He knows I'm really into computers, so he tells me these kind of things.) So I went to his house and reinstalled Windows because he had some major virus and worm issues. So I setup a firewall and things like that for him and things were fine for a while.

Recently he started complaining about things going wrong again and I joked (for the 100,000 time) "you should get a Mac." Knowing that he would never consider it. Well, he finally took me seriously and went downtown Chicago to the Michigan Avenue Apple Store and spent almost three hours there before becoming the proud new owner of a 20" iMac.

I couldn't be more happy for him, he hasn't been able to stop talking about how cool all the Mac stuff was, he is already in love and hasn't even owned the computer for 48 hours. So I'm gonna go to his house later and show him the ropes of OS X and get him up and running.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

My boss has never been much of a computer guy, so he bou....

I couldn't be more happy for him, he hasn't been able to stop talking about how cool all the Mac stuff was, he is already in love and hasn't even owned the computer for 48 hours. So I'm gonna go to his house later and show him the ropes of OS X and get him up and running.

Makes the heart warm.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Nice story.

I have noticed a trend over the past few months where people simply are refusing to help people with their Microsoft virus/spyware/whatever problems anymore.

Personally I've reduced my Microsoft emergency toolkit down to one of three options:

1) Install Lindows

2) New Mac advice

3) Sympathy
  • Reply 3 of 12
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Nice story.

I have noticed a trend over the past few months where people simply are refusing to help people with their Microsoft virus/spyware/whatever problems anymore.

Personally I've reduced my Microsoft emergency toolkit down to one of three options:

1) Install Lindows

2) New Mac advice

3) Sympathy

The virus thing really is getting out of hand. As much as I hate MS the biggest problem are idiots who open these files that strangers send to them. Oh well- not my concern.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

The virus thing really is getting out of hand. As much as I hate MS the biggest problem are idiots who open these files that strangers send to them. Oh well- not my concern.

yeah well, it's my concern. since my job is to be on call 24/7 to fix fellow students' computer problems, i get to deal with this stuff first hand. good thing is that kids usually learn from their mistakes. bad thing is that M$ makes POS software in the first place. kids' fault or not, it's wasting my time. i guess by seeing all the trouble kids are having with their Stinkpads aka: IBM Thinkpads, i have decided i need another "backup" laptop computer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    good story. Comes to show that macs are gonna kill windows someday(hopefully).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Well...as much as it is somewhat amusing to listen to Windows users (which mean all of my friends at school) say they have a virus here or there, it's really bad. I don't know who invented pop up ads or viruses or the like, but it seems to be quite annoying. What if these people were on the receiving end of these viruses or pop ups? What would they say?

Always good to switch to Mac though. OS X is one of the best things I've ever seen. Now..to get a new computer as well...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Like I said, he's not much of a computer guy, but all he knew was windows. The problems that he began to have the second time around weren't based on viruses, it was just crappy software and an even crappier OS. He came to work today asking if his internet connection didn't work because he didn't have 12,000 popups on his screen all the time like he did on his Dell. I just smiled and explained that he'll never have to worry about stupid popups or viruses again. Life is good for a Mac guy.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    it's amazing how lazy and impatient people can be. spending 10 min to run Adaware can save a BUNCH of time in the long run
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

it's amazing how lazy and impatient people can be. spending 10 min to run Adaware can save a BUNCH of time in the long run

The Microsoft 'party line' of 'it's your own damn fault for getting infected with spyware/viruses' isn't playing very well with the public.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

Yes, but not spending 10 minutes running Adaware because I'm on a Mac is so much better than...well, you get the idea.

Macs rule.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Yes, but not spending 10 minutes running Adaware because I'm on a Mac is so much better than...well, you get the idea.

Macs rule.

hence, why i'm getting a powerbook
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

The Microsoft 'party line' of 'it's your own damn fault for getting infected with spyware/viruses' isn't playing very well with the public.

Actually, it *IS* their own damn fault because Microsoft has lulled them into a false sense of security, followed by successfully convincing them that viruses and spyware are the "nature of using computers".

My wife is fully versed in avoiding the pitfalls of using Windows, and I am proud to say that neither of us run virus checkers, and neither of us have ever gotten a virus (the biggest part of that is that we don't use Outlook for email).

It's simply a matter of training people that are willing to be more vigilant than Microsoft would lead them to believe is necesssary. Of course, that will never happen because people are generally lazy and don't care about the ramifications of THEIR inaction or lack of situational awareness.