Anybody burning DVD's with their Powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
IMHO, Jobs must be having more than his share of sleepless nights waiting for the day when a Superdrive can be packed into a Powerbook, since that's the feature that actually places the pro-line Tibook _beneath_ the consumer iMac in terms of productivity -- not to mention the speed differential between the two. Plus, Apple seems to be placing a near-monolithic stack of chips on Macs taking a hefty grip on the movie/video industry, and it seems that its Superdrives are part of this strategy.

Until this day, what solutions are people using? There are a few Firewire DVD-burners on the market, but they seem pretty darn heavy (almost as heavy as a Tibook itself.) Looking at the choices, I can only guess that the representative hardware speaks to the reason that Apple's portables haven't seen these drives yet -- namely, the fact that no one's come up with a way to make them small enough yet.

While I wait to hit *my* $4000 price point in ye old savings account, though, I'm kneeling beside my bed at night with images of a slot-loading DVD burner floating by.

Here's hoping,

Pete

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Just out of curiosity... why would you be transporting your DVD-R with you...? You only need if for final output of the DVD... so why is an external FireWire DVD-R's weight an issue...?

Keep it setup at your desk and use your CD-R for portable use... yes?

The only thing you can do with an external DVD-R is burn/read Data or Burn DVD-R from DVD StudioPro. You cannot play-back DVDs (at least not using Apple's DVD Player), cannot use iDVD or even preview projects within DVD Studio Pro with an external FireWire DVD-R drive... so why lug it around...?

Peace...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    I think he meant that they are so heavy that it is unlikely that they will be put into a powerbook any time soon.

I too would like a superdrive powerbook, or at least a better way to use an external. I think it sucks that you can't use iDVD and so forth on external drives.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    surfrattsurfratt Posts: 9member
    Formac has an external firewire superdrive that they say works with apples dvd player and dvd studio pro. I have not tried it so I don't know but you can check formacs sight and or contact them.