Question for iPod mini owners

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When you connect your ipod to the computer, does the ipod restart? (do you see the apple logo)



When you eject the ipod, it should say ok to disconnect. When you disconnect, does the ipod restart?







I'm asking because my 3G ipod never did this (it never had to reboot at these operations) and I don't know if I got a faulty unit.



Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    Except for the first gen, I have owned every generation of iPod, including the mini, and they all do that. The only time it would not restart is if you were charging it through the plug direct to a wall and not into the computer through a Fire Wire port.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Voyer

    Except for the first gen, I have owned every generation of iPod, including the mini, and they all do that. The only time it would not restart is if you were charging it through the plug direct to a wall and not into the computer through a Fire Wire port.





    Wow! are you serious? I've had 2 gen 3 ipods and none have done that (I swear to god)





    it doesn't make sense...



    because you know when you drag the ipod to trash on comp, with my gen 3 i was able to operate the ipod while still plugged in and it would never restart even when I disconnected.



    What's going on?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    My 3G iPod doesn't restart when I dock it or plug it into the cable directly, nor when I remove it.



    Sometimes I have to restart it before iTunes gets a clue and actually syncs with it, but that's done manually while it's on the dock (and I'd rather not ever have to do it, of course).
  • Reply 4 of 16
    So what's the verdict?



    Can anyone else attest to mac voyeur's claim that they all restart?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Voyer

    Except for the first gen, I have owned every generation of iPod, including the mini, and they all do that. The only time it would not restart is if you were charging it through the plug direct to a wall and not into the computer through a Fire Wire port.





    you sure? I don't mean restart as in turn on, but rather the restart with the apple logo that takes like 7 seconds.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    mine does not restart
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by stevegongrui

    you sure? I don't mean restart as in turn on, but rather the restart with the apple logo that takes like 7 seconds.



    That is exactly what I am talking about. If you mean something more than this, then I am not sure of what you are talking about. All iPods become unusable while connected to the computer. Once disconnected, they go through a short process and after displaying the Apple logo, you are taken to the main menu. I have not noticed a difference in behavior in the iPm. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding what you mean.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Voyer

    That is exactly what I am talking about. If you mean something more than this, then I am not sure of what you are talking about. All iPods become unusable while connected to the computer. Once disconnected, they go through a short process and after displaying the Apple logo, you are taken to the main menu. I have not noticed a difference in behavior in the iPm. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding what you mean.



    That's exactly how I understood it, my iPod never does that.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    See.. here is a video...



    This is when the iPod is plugged in and I unmount it... it does not show the Apple logo.. just goes to the menu



    http://www.macusersonline.com/ipodsmall.mov
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thanks macusers, here's a movie he made



    he couldn't show the plugging in because isight and ipod can't be together, but here's when you unmount it.



    http://www.macusersonline.com/ipodsmall.mov



    you'll see that it goes straight to the ipod screen and does not have to restart.







    when you connect the ipod mac voyeur, does it go immediately to "do not disconnect" or does it show the apple logo first?



    (I think I might have a faulty unit)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    My iPod mini I just bought restarts when I plug it into the computer and then when I disconnect it.



    It even goes through this same procedure when I plug it into my wall using the AC adapter.



    I always thought this was normal.



    It is odd that some do restart while others don't.



    Mike
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    My 3G doesn't restart when I plug it in or unplug it. I never need to restart it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MPMoriarty

    My iPod mini I just bought restarts when I plug it into the computer and then when I disconnect it.



    It even goes through this same procedure when I plug it into my wall using the AC adapter.



    I always thought this was normal.



    It is odd that some do restart while others don't.



    Mike






    Phew! Now I know my unit is good.



    I think mac voyeur misunderstood.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    O.K. That is weird. Mine does not behave that way. When I plug it in, it goes to logo for 3 or 4 seconds, then displays the do not disconnect warning. When I eject it, the screen says it is O.K. to disconnect with a big check-mark on screen. Then it goes to logo for about 20 seconds and then to the main menu. I have never seen an iPod do anything else. Perhaps it depends on how it is connected. I am not using a dock. I am using a firewire to dock connector cord that I plug into the bottom of the iPm. How is yours connected? Now you've got my curiosity.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Voyer

    O.K. That is weird. Mine does not behave that way. When I plug it in, it goes to logo for 3 or 4 seconds, then displays the do not disconnect warning. When I eject it, the screen says it is O.K. to disconnect with a big check-mark on screen. Then it goes to logo for about 20 seconds and then to the main menu. I have never seen an iPod do anything else. Perhaps it depends on how it is connected. I am not using a dock. I am using a firewire to dock connector cord that I plug into the bottom of the iPm. How is yours connected? Now you've got my curiosity.





    Mine connects exactly the same way as yours and behaves exactly like yours (my iPm)



    My 3G however behaves differently. (same connexion though)



    So I guess it's the ipod mini that has changed.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    It's probably the different software versions. My 1G iPod restarted (software version 1.0). My 3G iPod does not restart (software version 2.0) My mini does restart (software version 1.0).



    It's no big deal and nothing to worry about. The mini software just needs to mature.
Sign In or Register to comment.