I think my PB has heat issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone had this problem. When my system has been on for a long time, particularly when on my lap, it gets (of course) very warm. The problem is, it also seems to slow down considerably. I'm talking about it getting to the point of typing being slow from lag. It's worse when using processor intensive things like games....the lag gets ridiculous.

What do you think?

1.25GHZ/512MB AluBook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What games?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What games?

Well the one I was using was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The expansion pack shows terrible lag. But it's certainly not just that. It even effects typing while online...like here.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Well the one I was using was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The expansion pack shows terrible lag. But it's certainly not just that. It even effects typing while online...like here.

Well Safari has a problem posting on these boards that makes the CPU max out and typing lag. I do get lag sometimes though, I assumed it was just too much CPU usage...worst though is when changing brightness or sound lags!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    weird your powerbook is acting like my old piece of shit pc. Everytime it got to hot it would be extremly slower. The normal speed wouldn't return intill a week of cooling. Luckly I switched to a powerbook G4 12 inch. Do you have the processer speed to auto, reduced, or highest. I would recemend reduced. If it was already on reduced take it to the closest apple store.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think your sister should ever be on your lap, especially not when she's on.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I note a lag on my laptop as well -- 17in...

restarting fixes it meaning it isn't heat related because the temperature of the processor shouldn't change during that process AFAIK.

So bad bits may be slipping into the ram...