Apple in-ear headphones? anyone try them?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've read the review at ipodlounge but eh I'm thinking of jumping for them... was wondering if anyone has got them yet. I want the white light headphone look, and its hard as hell to find those sony ones in white heh. Its all about aesthetics anyways if anyone has them I'm curious to hear what you have to say, or what you recommend. I think I blew my original ipod headphones and I've only had them for like 3 months so hrmmmm. I personally think the original ones response was pretty good, however their sensitivity was too high so it seemed to sound as if too digital or maybe its just me. I've always had good experiences consumer wise with stuff with low freq, but high response myself, just sounds warmer, so eh.. anyways back to the point are the apple in-ear headphones any good?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I'm gonn move this one to the 'Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Got 'em. Turns out my right ear is hard to fit, so I probably won't use them. I get a good seal on the left, good sound. Sucks on the right. If they don't make a tight seal they sound terrible.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

... and its hard as hell to find those sony ones in white heh. Its all about aesthetics ...

no idea how the apple phones are. I went directly for the sony EX71 and I love them. Perfect fit and perfect sound, in white of course. And no, they're not hard to find at all. go to warehouse123.com. I bought them for $47.50 and they arrived from hong-kong here in switzerland within a week .

direct link
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MacAddict:

"ILL-FITTING IPOD EARBUDS

...Your $40 will be better spent on over-the-ear headphones."

Rating: SO-SO

"Good News: Cool looking. Decent sound.

Bad News: Difficult to keep in ears. Only marginally better sound than stock 'buds."

If above is true, do not buy. Oh well.... \
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I second the Sony EX-71's. Great sound, and not having white headphones greatly reduces the chance of being mugged
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I have the new apple buds.... and I agree with the comment that the right ear somehow doesn't fit as well as the left. Maybe its my right ear thats "defective"... who knows...

I got these buds as soon as they were released, and have been using them ever since. A few times I have worked out with them, and I wouldn't recommend them for this, as they will get loosened by the constant jarring movements of running etc. Walking to class etc theyre great... just make sure the cord isn't rubbing on anything, as it will sound like a stethoscope in your ear.

A few weeks back, I started wondering.... are these headphones really THAT good? It was annoying that the right one had to be adjusted periodically to get that seal again... That same day, I went on a noisy bus trip (full of drunken university students)...and I realized how wicked these buds are. I had a headphone splitter hooked up, and my girlfriend was listening with the stock iPod buds/me with the in-ear buds. I was listening to a neat instrumental track on the new John Frusciante album.... I turned to her and said "this sounds wicked eh?"... and she said "i thought you turned off the iPod... I can't hear anything".

thats where these buds blow the stock headphones away... because of the seal they have, the low end sounds are very much improved...and performance in noisy environments is not even comparable... they're *that* much better. If you find yourself in situations like this, where you would much rather hear your music than a bus load of crazies... you will not regret buying these headphones

Try both the Apple ones and the Sony ones before you make a decision. we're all different, and no ear canal is exactly the same... sometimes not even left and right! \
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by amarone

no idea how the apple phones are. I went directly for the sony EX71 and I love them. Perfect fit and perfect sound, in white of course. And no, they're not hard to find at all. go to warehouse123.com. I bought them for $47.50 and they arrived from hong-kong here in switzerland within a week .

direct link

Are you sure??? I got them too.

But...

The highs on these earphones are far too loud. They hurt my ears. Terribly mid range.

Maybe my ears are just too sensitive to high frequencies?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

I second the Sony EX-71's. Great sound, and not having white headphones greatly reduces the chance of being mugged

I'll third that motion. Very readily available on eBay at good prices. Awesome sound, I would not use anything else with my iPod. And being white they match nicely too.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

MacAddict:

"ILL-FITTING IPOD EARBUDS

...Your $40 will be better spent on over-the-ear headphones."

Rating: SO-SO

From personal experience, MacAddict has the same reliability in product reviews as MOSR has in "inside information".

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    grrr crap, this is turning out to be a touch decision. I mean i don't know anyone with either of them, so I can just go out and check them out to see how I like them or not. I think i'm going to flip a coin on it grr I dont know heh.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Just get the white Sony EX-71. Sounds like they are much better than the Apple ones. Of course, since it's "all about aesthetics," what does it matter if they suck?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Whats that sound? oh... it's someone trying to facetious... The sound is most important after all, but then aesthetics come into play. Its just that sobelizzid wrote a good review of the apple ones, and I for one am not a sony fan, I mean I deal with their equipment all the time and ugh seriously if you think apple is proprietary just look at them. But yeah their headphones rock.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Whats that sound? oh... it's someone trying to facetious... The sound is most important after all, but then aesthetics come into play. Its just that sobelizzid wrote a good review of the apple ones, and I for one am not a sony fan, I mean I deal with their equipment all the time and ugh seriously if you think apple is proprietary just look at them. But yeah their headphones rock.

Yeah, I know. I kid!

If you're willing to go a bit over the top with regards to price, while still maintaining a bit of an aesthetic appeal, try the Shure E2c. They are also in-ear, and apparently they are really, really awesome. They are also about $100. On the aesthetic side, they are kind of a light-clear color, and hardly visible.

Based on what I've heard, I'd say to go with the Sonys, or just stick with iPod earbuds. Macally also makes some nice-looking white headphones you might want to try out, but I have doubts about their quality (they're not exactly a reputable headphone maker).

EDIT: The Shure E2c earphones...