Office with new PB?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was looking at the software that comes with a PB, and noticed "Microsoft Office v.X Test Drive." what exactly is that? how is it different from "Office v.X for Mac Standard Edition" $399.95? and what's the difference between the applications i mentioned and "Office v.X for Mac Student and Teacher Edition?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I wouldn't get test drive. I would get the student and teacher edition. It is the same thing as the normal but it is intended for students and teachers. I wonder how many people actullay listen to that rule. Microsoft is not ging to hunt you down to see if your really a student or teacher. So get the teacher/student edition.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Isnt the test drive a demo version of Office X?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlyafterdark

Isnt the test drive a demo version of Office X?

Yep, that's it. It's just a demo that expires after a certain amount of use. All the features aren't available on it either. If you are an educator or a student, get the education edition. If you aren't, than get the regular version, Apple wont hunt you down, but it's dishonest, it's stealing.

In other words, shut up quagmire. People get banned around here for suggesting stupid crap like that.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Yep, that's it. It's just a demo that expires after a certain amount of use. All the features aren't available on it either. If you are an educator or a student, get the education edition. If you aren't, than get the regular version, Apple wont hunt you down, but it's dishonest, it's stealing.

In other words, shut up quagmire. People get banned around here for suggesting stupid crap like that.

Thats what I thought.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

i agre, saveing a few bucks in this way is wrong, however totaly stealing consepts that make your flagship product (Windows) possible is just peachy, thats what the courts say.

i dont encourage stealing,just because M$ does it doesnt make it right, infact it makes it more wrong, which leads me to a question, is it immoral to steal from a thief?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Yep, that's it. It's just a demo that expires after a certain amount of use. All the features aren't available on it either...

Microsoft ask you that delete the "Test Drive" version if it is still on your computer before you install Office v.X proper.

I *think* the "student and teacher" version is exactly the same as the "pro" version. Bear in mind the following promo from Apple.com/uk (is this UK only?)

Quote:

Purchase Office v. X for Mac Standard Edition anytime between now and June 30, 2004, you will be able to get Office 2004 Standard Edition Upgrade for the cost of shipping and handling.

• Reply 7 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    The student and teacher edition is the same, but it's priced differently to benefit educators and students, not morons who want to save a few bucks.

**DMBand looks in quagmires direction**
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Isn't there some upgrade rule to the student/teacher version? I may be wrong, but I don't think you can upgrade that version. You can only buy the new student/ teacher version when it comes out. (However, I think the upgrade version and the student/teacher version are the same price basically.)

I think this keeps students from buying the discounted version in school and then when they are out and need the newest version, they have to buy the FULL version at the full version price, not the upgrade price.

I have pleny of relatives that are teachers and use PC's but could buy me the mac version at their discount. I don't see what is wrong with that. MS sells "Office Lite" in third world countries for like $30. They never update the dang thing so I believe they recovered their costs long ago.

You still pay at least $149 bucks, unless you could find a really great deal so how is that stealing? Once you got the cocaine...you need it...MS knows this...