Norton SystemWorks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i found this on the applestore online when i clicked the systemworks box out of curiousity

Quote:

Norton SystemWorks 3.0.x

Symantec's Norton SystemWorks 3.0 for Macintosh is the smartest way to solve computer problems. Norton AntiVirus 9.0 for Macintosh, the world's most trusted antivirus solution for Macintosh systems,* removes viruses automatically-without interrupting your work. Now it also detects PC viruses. Norton Utilities 8.0 for Macintosh finds and repairs disk problems, helps you recover files, and improves hard drive performance. Dantz Retrospect Express Backup lets you quickly and easily back up your files. And Aladdin Spring Cleaning safely and completely uninstalls unneeded programs. Protect your computer from dangerous viruses and keep it running smoothly with Norton SystemWorks

and i wondered, i know macs need AV software far less than pc, but is it me or is every feature here included in panther exept for av, which is accessable in dotmac?

why pay 130$ for this, the whole os is 130$ so that much seems like a ripoff for a utility suite, so if my assumptions are right, who buys this?

<after thought>

an uninstaller on mac, isnt that like a spare tire on a huver craft?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

i found this on the applestore online when i clicked the systemworks box out of curiousity

and i wondered, i know macs need AV software far less than pc, but is it me or is every feature here included in panther exept for av, which is accessable in dotmac?

why pay 130$ for this, the whole os is 130$ so that much seems like a ripoff for a utility suite, so if my assumptions are right, who buys this?

<after thought>

an uninstaller on mac, isnt that like a spare tire on a huver craft?

Lest there be any doubt, Apple is behaving like an honest retailer for buyers who want Norton SystemWorks. You don't need antivirial software to protect your Mac. If you use it, however, then you will not be a relay for Windows-based viruses. The fact that Virex is bundled with .mac does not detract from Norton AV. If a developer sees a market for its software on the Mac, then I say "Go for it!" The more, the merrier. There is no gun to your head. You don't have to buy.

As for the uninstaller, I notice that several utility developers include uninstallers. I can only hope that this is not a growing trend.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    The installer has an uninstaller?! Awesome, I want to rid my system of anything norton.

Don't get Norton System Works...as Brad would say about norton utilities = Bad Mojo.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

norton utilities = Bad Mojo.

for ( ; ; ; ) {

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;emphasis++;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cout << "norton utilities = Bad Mojo.\

"

}

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

for ( ; ; ; ) {

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;emphasis++;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cout << "norton utilities = Bad Mojo.\

"

}

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm no amazing programmer, but I think what he is trying to say is that if you buy it, he may just cut off one of his ears. When someone like Brad emphasizes to infinity that isn't good, probably should make a note not to use it.