Upgrading a Video Card?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an older (pre Digitial Audio) Power Mac G4 500Mhz with a Rage 128 Pro. As an impulse buy, since it was cheap, I just bought an nVidia GeForce4 MX440 as one of buy.com's Price Mistakes of the Day (5/7/02, still 90 or so left as of noon if you're interested) to take advantage of Jaguar's Quartz Extreme features.

Anyway, I then looked on Apple's website and they say that video cards aren't upgradeable on G4's. I looked at nVidia's website and they say that Apple handles all their graphics cards through store.apple.com, which listed no individual cards.

Is the G4 actually designed so that this isn't upgradeable, or is it just not a fully Apple-sanctioned upgrade? Basically, is it impossible for me to ever upgrade my card or does it just maybe void my warranty? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    1. Your Power mac is upgradeable

2. There are no retail Nvida cards for the Mac

3. Some have successfully flashed varoius brands of Nvida GF 2mx & GF 3 with a Mac rom & they work fine

4. There are no known successes with any PC GF 4mx cards

5. I'd suggest you bring back the card & get a refund. Then purchase either an origional Radeon AGP (MAC EDITION) or Radeon 8500 (MAC EDITION). Both of these are available retail & will work with your mac with no difficulties.

6. I would not suggest you try to flash cards because it's a pretty involved process (rearching what card to get, getting the flashing apps, flashing it in a PC, then testing on the mac) & you don't seem to be to knoledgable (no offense intended). I'd stick with cards made for the mac until your know a bit more about Apple & 3rd Party hardware.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: X704 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by X704:

<strong>1. Your Power mac is upgradeable

2. There are no retail Nvida cards for the Mac

3. Some have successfully flashed varoius brands of Nvida GF 2mx & GF 3 with a Mac rom & they work fine

4. There are no known successes with any PC GF 4mx cards

5. I'd suggest you bring back the card & get a refund. Then purchase either an origional Radeon AGP (MAC EDITION) or Radeon 8500 (MAC EDITION). Both of these are available retail & will work with your mac with no difficulties.

6. I would not suggest you try to flash cards because it's a pretty involved process (rearching what card to get, getting the flashing apps, flashing it in a PC, then testing on the mac) & you don't seem to be to knoledgable (no offense intended). I'd stick with cards made for the mac until your know a bit more about Apple & 3rd Party hardware.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: X704 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

WHOA!!! I'm glad i just READ this... I cancelled my order just-in-time. If you are correct, then I almost wasted money on a GeForce4 Ti 4600. If it actually would've worked, I can always re-order, but until I confirm... I'm glad I read this post. Thanks!

- Scott
  • Reply 3 of 9
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Riddle me this, BatMan...

Okay... just got off the phone w/ the manufacturer of the card and they confirmed that it will not (currently) work in my G4 due to lack of driver support... YET... Apple offers them as build-to-order options...? So that means a driver MUST exist... is it available anywhere for download...?

Again... thanks for the heads-up... I almost became the owner of a GeForce4 Ti Doorstop.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Scott F., you might want to check at one of the Apple stores in the area first (Cambridgeside Galleria or the North Shore Mall in Peabody). They might have a video card they can sell to you. I got my Apple OEM Radeon card from the Peabody store.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's not just a driver issue. Many expansion slot devices have incompatible firmware. And I'm not sure if these new nVidia cards can be flashed so simply like the GeForce2 MX cards. Some of these cards do not behave completely as you'd expect as well.

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    AND How come the Mac Radeon 7000 is $50 more than the PC version? Is it possible to flash that card?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by wwwork:

<strong>AND How come the Mac Radeon 7000 is $50 more than the PC version? Is it possible to flash that card?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does most mac stuff cost more. Low volume. Deal with it. Until Apple gets say 20-30% market share mac specific hardware will cost more then the eqivelent PC hardware 95% of the time.

If you don't like paying more for mac specific hardware then write the companies who are putting out Mac specific hardware & tell them you'd rather have a PC compatable hardware with Mac firmware & software.

There are no known successful flashing of any PC ATI video card that make them work on macs.

Keep your eye on places like dealmac.com & you'll find good deals which will often bring the price down comparable to PC stuff.

BTW you realize the Radeon 7000 (Mac Ed) is PCI only right? No Quartz Extreme accelerationi in OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    allall Posts: 27member
    What I'd like to know is why they don't offer any All In Wonder 7500s or 8500s for Mac. I'd like nothing more than to toss this crappy GF2MX that came with my 867 in the trash and get an ATi with some nice analog in features. nVidia + 2D = teh sux.

At least I don't have to deal with crappy nVidia on my TiBook/800.