sharing files/songs through an iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
can u take the songs and transfer them from your comp to the iPod then onto another computer? if so, how do u go about doing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

can u take the songs and transfer them from your comp to the iPod then onto another computer? if so, how do u go about doing this?

drag songs to ipod, take them to another comp, drag them off.

easy

(I assume you mean using it as an external hard disk)

this is the easiest way as I see it.

if you insist and want to do it from the music files in the ipod control folder you need something like an apple script or a program that lets you do that.

there are plenty out there.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    i didnt really go through it thoroughly but the songs were all grey (as in not selectable). or are they?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

i didnt really go through it thoroughly but the songs were all grey (as in not selectable). or are they?

That's because you are doing it through iTunes, which Apple doesn't want you to do -- remember the 'Don't Steal Music' sticker on front of the iPod?

Of course, a quick browsing on versiontracker will find an abundance of little programs that will see the hidden music files and transfer them. iPod Rip and iPod Access are two favorites.

p.s. I know I'm nitpicking, but 'you' is spelled 'you', not 'u'.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    odd, mine didnt come with a 'dont steal music sticker'.

so, i have to download a program to get the music off then? thats not too bad.

any one try and make an ipod go from a pc to mac or vice versa without using software?

btw, mr. nitpick, when it comes to internet stuff i tend to get super lazy and use short forms and all lower case. but, i always watch my spelling!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

odd, mine didnt come with a 'dont steal music sticker'.

you sure?

It looks like this

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Misc/DSC01578.JPG

but now I've got this too:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Misc/DSC01582.JPG

and my home made apple mug
  • Reply 6 of 12
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Unless you bought it used, it should have a sticker. Anyway, not being able to 'share' music between iPods is Apple's method of reducing piracy of legal music. Now, as the iPod is a hard drive, the music/iTunes information is hidden from view. Applications have been developed to see the invisible files and to 'share' them. Of course they have other value as well, such as in a case when your computer's drive fails and your only back-up of music is on your iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    there's a scriptyou can use, it's called ipod tracks choose, or something like that, you can copy the songs with a script to wherever you choose right from itunes!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I like PodWorks for transferring.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i really like ipodrip-it works really ell, and it has alot of features-well worth the $10.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Guys, trust me, the apple script is the best because you select the songs right in iTunes and copy them out.

There are lots of programmes but it requires an extra task of using them, and they always have to scan through your ipod which is a hassle.

On top of that, most are NOT free.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    whats a good pc version? i want to be able to move stuff over to a shite dell computer.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

whats a good pc version? i want to be able to move stuff over to a shite dell computer.

oh, you're on a pc.

I'd just copy them onto the removable hard disc sector and do it like that.