linksys wireless-g owners, help if you can...

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
fudge.

had problems with my internet connection this morning, so i log into it via the browser, and disconnect. that works fine. try to reconnect, and it takes forever. then i think i did a bad thing and clicked the "stop" button on the browser (mind you, this has worked before), and then tried to log back into the router. however, now it says my password is incorrect. tried again and again and again...

double fudge.

disconnected the power on the router, the dsl modem, turned off the computer, brought them all back up sequentially, and still nothing...

triple fudge.

linksys' support chat is useless, so i need to find the receipt so i can even talk to them to ask questions. in the meantime, we just have my computer hooked up to the dsl modem directly for now so i can post questions like these.

so the question is... is there any way to get into this router when it says it doesn't remember me anymore? is this a software access issue on my computer, or did the router get screwed somehow? i mean, i just don't understand how this could happen. i didn't change the password while logged into the router, and it takes a healthy bit of work to flash the firmware to really change anything. could this be the computer i am logging in FROM? for the record, all the diagnostic lights on the front of the unit read a-okay.

in an ironic twist, the FAQ said that the router can be reset to its factory defaults... from the CD that came with the router, which, of course, is PC only. sigh...

p.s. if someone can PM me with the default password for the router, just to see if it reset itself back to that somehow (i know it's in the manual somewhere, but if you saw my office...sigh. this'll teach me a lesson -- i can be a pack-rat, but i better be an ORGANIZED rat).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    got a little info (thanx MCQ) that i will try. in the meantime, if anyone has experienced issues like this, please feel free to post. i will post again when (or if) i get it fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I believe that the default user name and password is

admin

and the password is just enter

Quote:

Originally posted by rok

fudge.

had problems with my internet connection this morning, so i log into it via the browser, and disconnect. that works fine. try to reconnect, and it takes forever. then i think i did a bad thing and clicked the "stop" button on the browser (mind you, this has worked before), and then tried to log back into the router. however, now it says my password is incorrect. tried again and again and again...

double fudge.

disconnected the power on the router, the dsl modem, turned off the computer, brought them all back up sequentially, and still nothing...

triple fudge.

linksys' support chat is useless, so i need to find the receipt so i can even talk to them to ask questions. in the meantime, we just have my computer hooked up to the dsl modem directly for now so i can post questions like these.

so the question is... is there any way to get into this router when it says it doesn't remember me anymore? is this a software access issue on my computer, or did the router get screwed somehow? i mean, i just don't understand how this could happen. i didn't change the password while logged into the router, and it takes a healthy bit of work to flash the firmware to really change anything. could this be the computer i am logging in FROM? for the record, all the diagnostic lights on the front of the unit read a-okay.

in an ironic twist, the FAQ said that the router can be reset to its factory defaults... from the CD that came with the router, which, of course, is PC only. sigh...

p.s. if someone can PM me with the default password for the router, just to see if it reset itself back to that somehow (i know it's in the manual somewhere, but if you saw my office...sigh. this'll teach me a lesson -- i can be a pack-rat, but i better be an ORGANIZED rat).

• Reply 3 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The name is blank and the default password is admin. From what I have read from my router Linksys BEFSX41, you have to use the cd to reset the password if you forget it.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, we're getting there...

first, thanks to those who pointed out the "extended-reset" method. i did not know that would wipe back to the defaults, but it did a little bit more than that (read on)...

called linksys tech support, once i found my receipt (hitting the reset button for ten seconds actually made it worse... all i got was the red led of doom after that and NO response when i tried to log into the router). after giving them way too much info, and a guy who talked off his cues at a mile a minute, he decide we were going to try the reset test, but this time for THIRTY seconds.

uh, okay. why don't i kick it while i'm at it?

anyway, i plug it in, and before i can even touch the reset button, voila! green led's all around. i told him "i don't understand what happened... it was dead like, five minutes ago." then in the most perfunctory manner you can imagine, he said "that does not matter, sir."

well, truer words have yet to be spoken.

so i've gotten in and reset the password. and my mac sees the router, and it seems to be responding to commands. only problem now is, it seems like the router doesn't like to play with the dsl modem. it ACTS like everything is fine. all led's read normal. it even connects through the linksys control area, and i know the login/password combo is correct, or so it says, but when i try to load a web page, it fails. the modem is still working fine (as evidenced by this post, when i am connected directly to the modem).

so the router acts like it is fine. the dsl modem acts fine. computer hasn't dropped off the table or anything...

hmmm... any ideas?