A Purchasing Advice Thread...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recently posted a thread about my poor iBook and its (what I think are the logic board problems). Its almost 3 years old in May and out of warranty and no apple care and not within the serial numbers that allow the replacement- the screen is slowly dimming as I write this. I called apple and while being very nice and doing all they could- they said they couldn't do anything to it unless I pay money. I'd have to send it in for hardware repairs (which would be $370 if they didn't have to replace anything and $750 if its the logic board).

Enough bitching.

So now I'm in the market for a new mac (I guess). I'm a student in telecommunications so I can get just about every student discount imaginable (read developer discount). I wanted to get a G5 desktop to compliment my iBook, but it looks like that out of the question because I could never live without a laptop.

I could possibly spend as much as $2700 but I'd like to keep it below that ($2500). I like the size of the iBook, but I want more screen resolution and faster speeds. I'd also like to do some minor gaming if possible.

This kinda sucks because I was wanted a G5 with a nice big screen and screaming performance.

I need advice on what to do...thanks.

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

...I wanted to get a G5 desktop to compliment my iBook, but it looks like that out of the question because I could never live without a laptop...

1) There you go. Your first major issue: Notebook or Desktop?

You already seem adamant that you need a portable. Could you live without being able to move your computer around with you? You use it in class, yes or no? Could you deal with using the computers installed on campus rather than your own? What will your habits be like in two years? Will you still prefer the portability of a notebook or will you miss the performance of a desktop?

...bla bla...

2) I think Notebook. So, iBook or PowerBook?

An iBook would leave the possibility of getting a G4 desktop with some clever purchasing decisions, right? And you're already used to an iBook, right? Or was the iBook never really sufficient for your on-the-go needs? If an iBooks not right, the only thing left is a PowerBook... but then there's the decision about slapping the money on the table now, or waiting (waiting, waiting, waiting...) for a G5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

1) There you go. Your first major issue: Notebook or Desktop?

You already seem adamant that you need a portable. Could you live without being able to move your computer around with you? You use it in class, yes or no? Could you deal with using the computers installed on campus rather than your own? What will your habits be like in two years? Will you still prefer the portability of a notebook or will you miss the performance of a desktop?

...bla bla...

2) I think Notebook. So, iBook or PowerBook?

An iBook would leave the possibility of getting a G4 desktop with some clever purchasing decisions, right? And you're already used to an iBook, right? Or was the iBook never really sufficient for your on-the-go needs? If an iBooks not right, the only thing left is a PowerBook... but then there's the decision about slapping the money on the table now, or waiting (waiting, waiting, waiting...) for a G5 PowerBook.

You bring up the points that I'm having troubles with. I'm a digital media artist and no- the iBook hasn't been fitting my needs lately- its slow and the screen is small. It is my primary computer (only computer). I'm starting to get into heavy photoshop, some 3D modeling, Final Cut, and Dreamweaver.

So I need more than the 1024 x 768 the iBook and 12" powerbook offer.

So I was thinking about 3 choices...

Seeing I'm happy with the size of the iBook go with the 12" powerbook and for extra screen real-estate get the 17" studio display. The specs are as follows:

$2,276.00

12" Powerbook

60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm

512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)

AirPort Extreme Card

1GHz PowerPC G4

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

17" Studio display w/ adapter

or

$1,998.00

15" powerbook

1GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM

60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

AirPort Extreme Card

or

$2,099.00

15" powerbook

1.25GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM

60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

AirPort Extreme Card

So what would you guys recommend?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    The 15" 1.25GHz pb
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

The 15" 1.25GHz pb

Why? Just curious.

(My screen is dimming as I write this)
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Why? Just curious.

(My screen is dimming as I write this)

It's the most powerful machine, backlit keyboard and already has lots of screen real estate.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    How long can you wait?

PB revs are due, if not overdue (depending on who you talk to)

might mean more bang for the buck, and even if new models don't hit your sweet spot, discounts might ripple down the chain and make the current models more affordable

if your current iBook experience is G3, it might be that the jump to iBook G4 would be noticable enough, compared to the current 12"PB. Extra screen real estate for palettes makes the 15 worthwhile, IMO, but if you're only doing high-end work while connected to an external display anyway...

I'd suggest waiting until at least the end of March if at all possible.

(several promos end on the 27th = strong suggestion of new stuff)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I would wait till G5 powerbook. Its due anyday now. Since you really wanted a G5. 12 inch is a perfect size and saves alot of money and don't forget about the education discount. Here is a link to help you even more.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I guess I can wait for the new powerbooks, but you guys don't know how much I depend on my computer for school- a lot!

I have an assignment due tomorrow that I need to type up- I'll be typing and my screen will crap out for like 2-3 minutes until I can fix it. That really sucks because I loose my train of thought.

You really think the powerbook G5's are right around the corner?

God this sucks- why can't it just work so I can peacefully wait for my G5- what happens if the next rev powerbooks are still G4? Do I still bite and go for the 15"?

I already know about the buyers guide- thanks though!

I just don't know how long I can wait and be having my screen crapping out every few hours....
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

You really think the powerbook G5's are right around the corner?

I don't, for one. I suspect it will be out late this year, but certainly not soon.

Apple can't even get the new G5s working and shipping in the new Xserves. And people honestly expect them to be ready for a PowerBook? Yeesh.

Motorola started putting out slightly faster G4s some time ago. I would be much less surprised to see a simple "speed bump" to the current line of PowerBooks before the transition to the G5s.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you need one now, look for an Apple refurb. It sounds like you REALLY need a new laptop.

Anyway, of those three options, the best BY FAR is the 1.25 GHz. It's about $100 more than the 1.0 GHz one, and it has a 250 MHz advantage as well as the backlit keyboard. Definitely worth it. The 1.0 GHz is only a good deal if you leave it somewhat stripped down - 2x256 MB of RAM instead of 1x512 MB, Combo drive, no backlit keyboard, etc. Since the 1.25 comes with a bunch of nice added things, you may as well buy the 1.25 if you're planning on buying the added features.

Anyway, you can get a refurb 1.25 GHz/512MB/80GB/Superdrive/15"/Airport for $2000, or the 1.0 GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/15" for $1600. Either of those is a good deal. If you buy a refurb, you get the same warranty as a new one, and if they are updated, you don't feel as bad because you got it for a cheap price anyway.

Oh, and PowerBook G5s are most likely at least six months away. I would say they MIGHT be released this year, if we're lucky. I don't know, things could change, but I'd say we'll see them in late 2004/early 2005. Definitely don't hold out for a G5 PowerBook. I'd say at least wait for the end of March, but if nothing happens by then, hop on one of those refurbs.

EDIT: One final note. G4s have gotten to maybe 1.5 GHz by now. So the next speed bump will probably still have G4s, only instead of being 1.0/1.25/1.33 for the 12"/15"/17" PowerBooks, it might be 1.25/1.42/1.5 GHz or something like that. Not a huge speed bump. Biggest change would probably be larger stock hard drives, more RAM, and better graphics. I have a feeling that even if you buy a PowerBook within a month of an update, you won't get buyer's remorse too bad. If you get one and the G5s come out a month later, though... you'd be kicking yourself. Not much chance of that happening though.

EDIT AGAIN: Dude... you might even be able to splurge and get a refurb 1 GHz 17" AlBook. That would be awesome! They are $2200 in Apple's special deals section, which is a pretty sweet price for the 17". Yeah, it's the older one, but it's still a powerhouse, and I bet the screen will make up for the small speed difference vs. the 1.25 GHz or 1.33 GHz AlBooks out now.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Hmmm- I didn't notice the 15" powerbook for $1999 on the refurbs.

Only thing this doesn't have that the new one does is the 1-dimm of 512. Plus I wouldn't be using my "1 in a lifetime hardware purchase" on the developer discount.

So I guess everyone is saying wait a few weeks (end of march) and if nothing happens- hop onto the 15" 1.25 somehow.

thanks (screen flickers)...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    RAM can always be upgraded, and besides - doing a BTO config with 1x512 instead of 2x256 still costs money. Money that could be used to simply buy a 512, sell one of the 256s on eBay (make $30-$50), and have a total of 768 MB. Remember, the high RAM prices seem worse on the Mac side of things because there are still a lot of Macs out there that use PC133 (Pre-MDD PowerMacs, G3 iBooks, eMacs, and basically any other non-recent Mac). PC133 is skyrocketing in price these days, typically costing $100 or even more for a 512 MB module. A year ago, those modules were $40 or $50. Meanwhile, DDR is getting cheaper. DDR is now significantly cheaper than PC133, and it looks like that trend will continue. Adding more RAM to your PowerBook won't be too hard, or expensive, so I'd say go with the savings on the refurb machine. Meanwhile, you can save your one-time ADC discount for some other time.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope things work out well! I am sure you will love having a PowerBook G4 to replace your iBook. The iBook 500s were kind of slow even when they first came out, so I can only imagine how bad it would be now. Personally, I wouldn't even want to run one in OS X, but if it was my only machine... just be glad you'll be getting a nice big speed boost! It's fun to jump dramatically in speed.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Luca knows his mac hardware poop.

i'd go with pretty much whatever he recommends.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Just ordered the refurb 15" 1.25 with 512 ram, 80 gig hd, airport, superdrive from apple!!!

It should be here on Monday or Tuesday!!!

Now...any ideas on what to do with this iBook? Everything has been working perfectly but the screen now. Do I sell it on eBay as a whole? Do I try to strip it down to parts and sell everything individually? Is there a site that buys mostly working iBooks?

Anyone want to buy it? I'll sell it for $550. These are the specs:

500MHz

640 RAM

airport card

DVD

20 gig hd

I'll even throw in my D-Link bluetooth dongle that I don't need anymore...

The screen still works most of the time- it just dimms once in a while and you have to fiddle with it to get it back on again.

Peace and thanks for the advice...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I would tear off the screen and offer it on ebay for people who can afford to plug in an external moniter. Or sell it for parts. I don't think someone wants a dead screen.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    heifetzheifetz Posts: 26member
    Tear off the screen? Hello? Who in their right mind would want to buy a laptop with the screen torn off?

I don't think there's much you can do with your iBook, Taco. If the screen was working then someone might be willing to buy it but since the screen is an important part of a laptop, you're out of luck buddy.

Although, you could always sell the RAM, BT module and Airport card separately.

.h
  • Reply 17 of 17
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    when it dims, does it seem like the backlight has gone completely out?

could be a bad inverter board (not too terribly expensive). It might even just be a loose connection in there somewhere.

So some experienced notebook tech might want to pick it up "as-is" on e-Bay, especially with a detailed description of the symptoms and how frequently they occur. You might see what Airport cards and RAM go for there and decide if it's worth it to sell them separately.

Taking apart an iBook including the display is not for the faint of heart though. I've done an iBook twice and the display once. Scary stuff, even if you've got the iBook Service Manual PDF.