Help: disk utility no run; .dmg no mount

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Today two things started happening: .dmg files will not mount and disk utility will not launch.

I tried running a backup copy of disk utility from a firewire drive and it also would not launch. I then ran it from a start-up DVD and it ran fine with no problems reported and nothing needing to be fixed.

I restarted from my regular system disk and the error is still there.

Console reports nothing when Disk Utility launches but does show the error "helperConnectionDied" for DiskImageMounter[385] when something tries to access a .dmg

Any help or suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dgnldgnl Posts: 42member
    I have experienced the same on a Albook 12", update to 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 should fix

DG
  • Reply 2 of 8
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    I'm running 10.3.2 now. I was going to fix this before dealing with an update to 10.3.3. Will the OS update fix this by itself?

EDIT: Updated to 10.3.3. Update went fine. Disk Util still won't launch and still cannot mount .dmg
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backup your documents and reinstall the OS, looks like the only way

DG
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Whoa whoa, I would not go that far yet. I would boot from the OS X CD and check/repair permissions.

Is this happening in midst of an install?

Also what does the crash log say for Disk-Utility?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    are you trying to run Disk Utility on your computer or from the Panther install disc ? if you are trying from the Panther install disc and it won't run, you've got serious troubles.

DG
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

if you are trying from the Panther install disc and it won't run, you've got serious troubles.

Yeah I would say so.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    israces, did you by chance move Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities folder? If so, just put it back.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    Nothing funky going on about moving disk utility or anything like that. Every so often, disk utility will simply not launch and .dmg files will not open. I suspect this is tied somehow to a problem with autodiskmount being corrupt. I have no idea how or why this keeps happening, but the only fix I have come up with is trashing the entire prefs file and reintstalling them 1 by 1.

If I log in as a non-admin user, everything works fine.

Ideas?