Apple Wireless Keyboard / Mouse Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Considering to purchase both of these devices, in the end perhaps just the keyboard. Searched around and didn't see them answered or a thread that sums up users experiences of both and possible problems.

[list=1][*]I'm not familiar with Bluetooth technology, but I've heard pairing mentioned. I've also heard both of Apples devices are able to switch "channels" to maintain connections. Do other keyboard/mice lose connections frequently, does Apple have the "market cornered" with their method?[*]The Apple Wireless Keyboard isn't supported in Windows, but does it work outside of Aqua/Quartz. How about in single-user mode and key combos for booting such such as PRAM resets and CD boots?[*]How heavy is the Wireless Mouse? I've used other mice and found them much heavier then their corded counterparts. In another thread someone commented that using rechargeable batteries increased the weight.[*]On other forums I've heard people having problems with both products. Mis-types and lag with both the keyboard and mouse, has anyone experienced these?[*]Finally this will be used in an office environment. Security is a concern (keyboard) as well as any other interferences (very small office, much gear). Also have heard of a security problem with Bluetooth recently (Feb maybe?). Should I be concerned?[/list=1]

Understand that $70 is a lot to pay for a one-button mouse. Its strange, I use a Logitech MX500 (8-button) at home but I've become accustom to using a single at work. May just use the mouse that comes with the Wacom tablet I'm going to be picking up though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    1. Bluetooth is able to switch channels in order to maintain a connection, but dropped connections are very very rarely a problem. The reason it is able to switch is more if there is interference on a channel.

2. AFAIK the Apple BT keyboard will work outside Aqua, that said I'm not 100% sure.

3. If you have an Apple optical mouse or Pro mouse, hold it in your hand with two AA batteries, that'll be your weight. They do weigh more, but just because of the batteries. Rechargeables wont make it heavier because they don't weight more than regular batteries.

4. Don't be concerned with security. Apple's BT stuff uses 128 bit encryption...more trouble than it's worth to even try to break it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    1. Lost connections haven't been a problem for me with my wireless mouse (Logitech MX700)

2. Aqua/Quartz really have nothing to do with the equation. Not sure about Windows support. I think the chances are slim. I will try it later tonight...

3. It's heavier than the regular Apple mouse, but I find the weight desirable. I like my MX700's weight.

4. Even the wired Apple keyboards seem to suffer from mistypes. I haven't noticed anything odd out of either wireless products in about 5 minutes of use. I have both, but don't use either. Mine came with the Apple Store San Francisco "Gift Bag."

5. Do you have a theft problem in your office? Are the corded peripherals locked down? If they aren't locked down and nobody's stealing them, then... Put it in your drawer when you leave the office every day or something...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

5. Do you have a theft problem in your office? Are the corded peripherals locked down? If they aren't locked down and nobody's stealing them, then... Put it in your drawer when you leave the office every day or something... [/B]

Sorry, by security I mean information security. I've read there was a problem with people being able to snag typed key sequences over air via unsuspecting BT users.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Sorry, by security I mean information security. I've read there was a problem with people being able to snag typed key sequences over air via unsuspecting BT users.

I think any concerns about that are overplayed...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Apparently the D-Link DBT-120s you buy from Apple are packaged differently and not Windows compatible. Heh.