Sony Prosumer HDV Camera announced

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OMG Here it is!! Hi-Def for the commoner!

HDV is a new HD VCR recording standard which uses MPEG-2 compression, and is based on DV tape, the major consumer digital video format. The HDV format can record and play back at a higher picture quality on the same DV cassette using the same tape speed and track pitch as DV. As the compact sized and affordable DV tape format is widely distributed, the new HDV camcorder will have a ready supply of recordable media available when it ships.

I heard this camera may cost $15k. I'm hoping not but at any rate it's going to be a boon for the prosumer Final Cut Pro maven looking to quickly move to HiDef. I've seen the future...and it's crystal clear.

Here's a HUGE pic

http://www.sony-europe.com/content/a..._G1_hisres.JPG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    3 CCD's too! That is one feature above the current JVC offerings. Let's hope the color is a little better. I'm hearing that the JVC HDV cams resolution is fantastic but the colors are washed out even compared to todays 3CCD MiniDV cams.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm still waiting for the ability to do HD on DVCAM. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

\
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm still waiting for the ability to do HD on DVCAM. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

\

Well at least HDV will shows you are your friends just how bad their complexion has gotten over the years LOL.

Wow and to think a couple of years ago I was only hoping to see a successor to the XL1 and now we have HiDef recording.

Now if Texas Instruments could just get the price of their DLP chips down enough so that that 55" inch DLP I covet is mine for a song.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MPEG-2 huh? My experience with MPEG-2 has been that its a pain to work with. First you have to demux it, then you can actually transcode and edit it. Kind of a pain.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

MPEG-2 huh? My experience with MPEG-2 has been that its a pain to work with. First you have to demux it, then you can actually transcode and edit it. Kind of a pain.

Exactly. The MPEG-2 data is virtually impossible to deal with until it's "converted" to an edit-friendly format. Not a very elegant solution, IMO.

But, if you're only going to be shooting a short-film, then this might be a nice middle-of-the-road solution. Especially if you're planning a 35mm filmout. And because the footage needs to be converted, the resulting file sizes will probably increase dramatically. Hard drive space will definitely be a big issue here.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I wonder if Apple will position this as

1. Capture in HDV

2. Transcode to Pixlet

3. Edit to your hearts content

4. Save to whatever format you need.

If the coding process to pixlet doesn't cause too much loss then it would lessen the weaknesses of the MPEG2 format.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I wonder if Apple will position this as

1. Capture in HDV

2. Transcode to Pixlet

3. Edit to your hearts content

4. Save to whatever format you need.

If the coding process to pixlet doesn't cause too much loss then it would lessen the weaknesses of the MPEG2 format.

You forgot step 1.5: Purchase Xserve Raid.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Exactly. The MPEG-2 data is virtually impossible to deal with until it's "converted" to an edit-friendly format. Not a very elegant solution, IMO.

But, if you're only going to be shooting a short-film, then this might be a nice middle-of-the-road solution. Especially if you're planning a 35mm filmout. And because the footage needs to be converted, the resulting file sizes will probably increase dramatically. Hard drive space will definitely be a big issue here.

MiniDV isn't frame accurate either.... nor is DV50 I hear (though I'm not sure) I just saw the star wars camera's at SXSW... pretty interesting... pretty expensive.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Just saw an apple presentation of SD uncompressed editing, and boy was it just a showcase to show the xServe raid... For HDTV you're going to just have to have a raid, and hopefully raid 5. What is it HD content even if pixlet is like 37/mb or was it 64/mb per sec? yeah try finding a single hard drive that can pull that off, oh and thats just one stream. I just need something cheaper than an Xserve Raid, and more robust than say a regular Raid 0 box, as I only do commercials, not full length features, or business pieces...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Pixlet is 3MB per second.

Broadcast HDTV is 2.38MBps

Uncompressed is easily 75MBps or more depending on resolution.

RAID is nice but if Pixlet ends up being a nice format to edit it then a RAID won't be required.