Take that, Bush. (stem cells)

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...4&section=news

The Pentagon is funding stem cell research that focuses on Parkinson's Disease in Sweden. Bush won't allow it in America but three cheers for the Pentagon sidestepping this ignorant religiously motivated directive and funding the same research in Sweden.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well if I remember Bush stopped funding research on new stem cell lines. I guess if this group is using one of the preexisting lines then there's no conflict.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    How many people actually think Bush's stem cell fiasco was a good idea?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Maybe not a lot. Some wanted no research at all. Others seem to not want to draw a line.

So when Bush tried to walk the line he pleased no one.

But you know those people against stem cell research should STF up. What do they think? This is a democracy?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well if I remember Bush stopped funding research on new stem cell lines. I guess if this group is using one of the preexisting lines then there's no conflict.

You think the Swedes are limiting themselves to those few batches Bush said was OK to use? I don't think so.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Maybe this week's news that Stem Cells might be part of a cure for baldness (proven so far in mice), will suddenly result in a huuuuge lobby of balding republicans urging an exemption be granted or the decision be overturned.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

So when Bush tried to walk the line he pleased no one.

Riiight. "Let the scientifical guys use their scraps until they run out. God will be happy"
  • Reply 7 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

But you know those people against stem cell research should STF up. What do they think? This is a democracy?

What does a democracy have to do with it? You're trolling as usual. Science trumpts your moralistic view, as usual.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I don't approach it with a moralistic view. Just that the thought of picking apart few weeks old zygotes to harvest cells creeps me out a little. I'm not sure where I stand on the subject. I haven't figured it out.

But the people who are opposed to stem cell research have the same right to be represented as the rest of us. It shouldn't even be about politics but that's the method we have in placed to deal with it now.

Besides BR was burring the facts a little. I had to correct that.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

I don't approach it with a moralistic view. Just that the thought of picking apart few weeks old zygotes to harvest cells creeps me out a little. I'm not sure where I stand on the subject. I haven't figured it out.

But the people who are opposed to stem cell research have the same right to be represented as the rest of us. It shouldn't even be about politics but that's the method we have in placed to deal with it now.

Besides BR was burring the facts a little. I had to correct that.

Bush's decision was clearly religiously motivated and he bypassed the system of representation by making it an executive order. Don't bitch about representation when EL PRESIDENTE was the one that refused that right to everyone who believes in science over mumbo jumbo.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Maybe this week's news that Stem Cells might be part of a cure for baldness (proven so far in mice), will suddenly result in a huuuuge lobby of balding republicans urging an exemption be granted or the decision be overturned.

If they are willing to shaft their personal morals for personal gain (follicular in this case) then they are right on par with the rest of both parties in Washington.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Bush's decision was clearly religiously motivated and he bypassed the system of representation by making it an executive order. Don't bitch about representation when EL PRESIDENTE was the one that refused that right to everyone who believes in science over mumbo jumbo.

We need to abolish EOs. Every president has abused them for the advancement of their particular ideology. Bad idea in a republic.

edit: <Jubelum finds himself somewhat agreeing with BR and his Justified Arrogance> <Sigh...What's next... Swine Aviation?>
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

If they are willing to shaft their personal morals for personal gain (follicular in this case) then they are right on par with the rest of both parties in Washington.

Baldness is only the beginning. Wait until the cure impotency... THEN the republicans will go nuts for stem cell research.

I have some ethical questions about stem cell research. Mostly where they get some of the cells from is well... as stated before "kinda creepy". However, the scientific benefit are astounding, and for Bush to cut it off with no further investigation or thought was stupid. We all know he's blindly pushing his distorted fundamantalist christian view. Even his commercials and speeches sound more like "fire and brimstone" sermons than anything actually useful.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FaydRautha

Baldness is only the beginning. Wait until the cure impotency... THEN the republicans will go nuts for stem cell research.

Maybe we can get some Clinton Library donations for THAT line of research?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Maybe we can get some Clinton Library donations for THAT line of research?

Yeah Bill and Dole could do a commercial together...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FaydRautha

Yeah Bill and Dole could do a commercial together...

Maybe we can get a NASCAR painted with a stem cell paintjob?

Talk about hitting your audience...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

How many people actually think Bush's stem cell fiasco was a good idea?

If you had a father who for 8 years rotted away from it (Parkinson's...not baldness)...I did.

Not saying that he'd be here today...but.

All I got...depressing.

\
  • Reply 17 of 17
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    This is mildly off topic but related...

Wife and I are having a baby here real soon. Went to the typical birthing classes, learned far too much about the process. One thing they brought up which I'd never thought about was

A. Do I want to cut the cord? (not relevant to the thread and ...ummmm "no")

and

B. Do you want to save cord blood for stem cell research?

Now that was an interesting thought. After inquiring about it, it seems very expensive to do so someone told me a few thousand to start and them monthly or yearly storage fees on top of it. Yikes. But then you think damn... "if this is the next medical breakthrough will I regret not doing it?". Hello guilt trip. Then if I did do it, theres also the question of storage quality, what happens if the company folds etc. Ugh. This was something I hadn't counted on thinking about.

EDIT: Ok maybe its not AS expensive as I portrayed above... heres a link... but still an odd thing to consider.