Good 2.1 Speaker System

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was at CompUSA yesterdsy (the one in Indianapolis is very nice by the way) and I realized just how bad the speakers in my ibook are and that I need new ones. I'd like a 5.1 set, but because of my desk space, can only accomidate 2 sattelites and a woofer. I wondered which ones I should get that are under $200. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    Right now I'm using the Apple Pro Speakers and iSub. I think that they're a great combination...wait do iBook's have an Apple Speaker mini jack on them?

Another option is to buy a nice pair of headphones.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I was at CompUSA yesterdsy (the one in Indianapolis is very nice by the way) and I realized just how bad the speakers in my ibook are and that I need new ones. I'd like a 5.1 set, but because of my desk space, can only accomidate 2 sattelites and a woofer. I wondered which ones I should get that are under $200. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

believe it or not the creative 2.1 system is very good. and it's pretty cheap. 39 bucks. You'll be amazed at how good the sound is for the price.

I'm trying to decide what 2.1 system to buy for this summer and it looks like that will be the one.

Monsoon also makes very nice speakers
  • Reply 3 of 17
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Right now I'm using the Apple Pro Speakers and iSub. I think that they're a great combination...wait do iBook's have an Apple Speaker mini jack on them?

Another option is to buy a nice pair of headphones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The iBooks don't have one of those plugs on them. The iMac I'll be getting this summer do though. I don't like headphones.

I'm cautious when buying something as important as speakers. I feel more secure with a more expensive pair, even if they aren't that much better. The ones I saw and liked were the Klipsh 2.1 ones. Anyone have experience with them?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I love my Monsoons.

Flat, black, and loud.

Everyone who stops by and seems them is like, "Woa."
  • Reply 5 of 17
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I have the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks with Sub.. They sound great, and look great...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Thinking of buying these me self. Good sound and even better looks. It's 'Altec Lansing' Design Series. Read more <a href="http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=2100&sID=2"; target="_blank">here</a>

PS. The price is around $90 (retail)

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>Thinking of buying these me self. Good sound and even better looks. It's 'Altec Lansing' Design Series. Read more <a href="http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=2100&sID=2"; target="_blank">here</a>

PS. The price is around $90 (retail)

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the pair I was looking at at CompUSA. I originally thought they were awesome (compared to my 2 chincy ones on my iBook anything is) but the Klipsch ones (although $100 more) sounded much fuller. I have a big room that absorbs a lot of sound, so that's important to me.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Klipsh ProMedia 2.1
  • Reply 9 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>Klipsh ProMedia 2.1</strong><hr></blockquote>

Those are the ones I was interested in. Are they worth $180 though?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>Klipsh ProMedia 2.1</strong><hr></blockquote>

They get rave <a href="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/promedia21/default.asp"; target="_blank">reviews</a> at least. So does the new set from 'Logitech SoundMan Xtrusio DSR-100.' Unfortunately for iDude that's a 4+1 speaker set

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Everything I've read and seen about any Klipsch speakers has been good. My only worry is that they will come out with a better pair as soon as I buy mine. They are a couple years old.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

<strong>Everything I've read and seen about any Klipsch speakers has been good. My only worry is that they will come out with a better pair as soon as I buy mine. They are a couple years old.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ah, but isn't that always the kicker with technology?

• Reply 13 of 17
    Yah I know. But it's one thing to buy the equipment as soon as it's released and have it go obsolete 6 months after you buy it and another to buy it at the end of it's cycle and have a new one come out the day you get yours set up.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    rbaldrbald Posts: 108member

<strong>I was at CompUSA yesterdsy (the one in Indianapolis is very nice by the way) and I realized just how bad the speakers in my ibook are and that I need new ones. I'd like a 5.1 set, but because of my desk space, can only accomidate 2 sattelites and a woofer. I wondered which ones I should get that are under $200. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea you want great speakers for under $200!!! Boston Acoustics BA790! With digital or analog inputs! You can't go wrong!!! Also the Klipsch 2.1 Promedia which are unbelievable!

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: rbald ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    For the price the Klipsch promedia 2.1 set is the best. I have a set and these things are incredible. Literally better then my stereo system. I would pay twice as much for them but I only paid $200 at the time. So you're getting a steal now.

I wouldn't worry about them being outdated. We're talking about speakers here and not CPU's. If they sound incredible now they will sound incredible for a long time. Good speakers have a long shelf life
  • Reply 16 of 17
    blangblang Posts: 46member
    Yesterdaqy I was at "The Wiz" & stopped by to listen to the computer speakers for a minute.

There was a set playing that sounded AWESOME, but I couldn't place which ones they were, the sound seemed to come from space!

I put my ears close to the speakers and couldn't believe the sound was coming from these Altec Lansing speakers, they sounded WAY better than any of the others,including some that were almost twice the price.

I just got the Sound Sticks, but I gotta tell ya, these sound magnificent and look great too.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I hope you guys are right. I ordered a pair last night. I'll let you know how they are.