Apple "Pro" Wireless Mouse/Keyboard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I like the white looks of the current keyboard and the mouse, but everyone knows that it only looks good with an eMac, iMac or an iBook, not the PowerBooks or the PowerMacs. Silver and White just doesn't look right when placed next to each other, and Apple surely gotta know that fact somewhere in their mind, especially when they're very committed to designing their products.

It took me a while to notice, but (unlike the previous wired ones) the new wireless keyboards and mice has the word "pro" chopped off from its name. This makes me curious if Apple will release a new keyboard and mouse named Apple "Pro" Keyboard and Apple "Pro" mouse sometime with silver appearence, innovative features etc. Are there any rumors about that?

This is something personal, but I really need a wireless keyboard and a mouse which suits my PowerBook G4 with good features. I might choose the M$ Optical Desktop for Bluetooth if they fail to release a better kb/mice within a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    If they think the scroll wheel on modern mice aren't aesthetically pleasing, I'm sure they understand your problem.

I read the scroll wheel comment in their new mouse patent.

How about one of these:

Review of Zippy WK-207 Aluminum Keyboard

Looks nifty...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

If they think the scroll wheel on modern mice aren't aesthetically pleasing, I'm sure they understand your problem.

I read the scroll wheel comment in their new mouse patent.

How about one of these:

Review of Zippy WK-207 Aluminum Keyboard

Looks nifty...

I wish it said "Apple" instead of "Zippy" on the front of the keyboard!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    koya87koya87 Posts: 10member
    Hmm, the keyboard looks pretty nice but I need a wireless one. Although they patented the mouse technology which may bring the debut of "Apple Pro Wireless Keyboard/Mouse", I think the keyboard/mouse combo will be a bit pricey at around $170. Considering that M$ bluetooth combo is $68 in amazon.com, I wonder if it's worth 2~3 times the price for the Apple logo. With a PowerBook, M$ kb's Metallic blue&silver doesn't look awkward than plastic iMac white after all...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Slightly OT.

You know... Does anyone else really miss the feel of the old-style Apple Pro keyboards. All the new-style keyboards just seem too... mooshy... to me. And you really have to fully depress the shift keys in order to get it to register. I'm always missing cap letters because of it. And there is something to the shape, size and position of the buttons on the "newer" keyboards that keeps my fingers from finding the keys as easily as I used to.

For years, even after Apple switched over to the mushy keyboards, we used the old style ones with USB adapters until finally we burned the last one out 6-8 months ago. I'm tempted to buy a new keyboard as well just for work...

Anyone else in the same boat?

C.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yeah, recent Apple keyboards are quite hard. The mac lab in my school is so freakin' loud because of that.

...I have a question about those Zippy keyboards that FormatC2 showed me or Microsoft Keyboards. Those are all windows-oriented. Is there a software that can assign any keys to any key? What I mean is, is there a software that enables me to use my M$ keyboard's application buttons on the top for launching any applications, applescript and so forth.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    i say (in all truth, no joke) the best keyboard i have used is this one on a very old IBM,

the thing is solid as a rock and never missed a beat, it is ugly but it was very functional

even here in pc land, on the dell i use now, it is like typing in jello, i wonder if the spring response on the keys could be tweaked
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

i say (in all truth, no joke) the best keyboard i have used is this one on a very old IBM,

the thing is solid as a rock and never missed a beat, it is ugly but it was very functional

even here in pc land, on the dell i use now, it is like typing in jello, i wonder if the spring response on the keys could be tweaked

I have THREE genuine IBM 101key (PS/2 era) keyboards, two still in the box for a rainy day. While not as good as the old AT keyboard, still one of the best keyboards ever. I also liked the old Apple Extended II keyboard, which was the best "non-clicky" keyboard, IMO.

P.S. You can still buy the PS/2 keyboard from www.pckeyboard.com (no USB though)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    They could add innovative features called "left button" and "scrollwheel". (insert smiley of flogging a dead horse)

How about Apple made a stylish, fullsize keyboard with no numeric keypad? I'm ready to vote that as the #1 irritating feature of keyboards, because it's located exactly where my mouse should be. #2 is "multimedia" buttons, but let's not go there.. besides I suspect that is a scourge Apple users have generally been spared.

Before the flaming starts, I want to say I know what the numpad is for, and have used it a bit, but I think it is specialized equipment, not something I want to be a standard feature on a personal computer.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I really like the number pad and I use it more often than you might think (and no, I'm not an accountant). However, it would be cool if they included a detachable number pad like on the Logitech DiNovo.

The detachable media pad also has a little LCD screen on it, so you can use it as a calculator.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well, I really like the number pad and I use it more often than you might think (and no, I'm not an accountant). However, it would be cool if they included a detachable number pad like on the Logitech DiNovo.

The detachable media pad also has a little LCD screen on it, so you can use it as a calculator.

I think the people who'd rather have a number pad than not are less than one person in ten.

I punched "usb keypad" to Google and the second hit was a keypad that cost $10.

The question "whether an average keyboard should have a keypad" is a no brainer. No matter how useful it is to the 10% of people, they can always get one. The rest cannot saw it off. It's most perplexing why specialty keyboards like Eluminx have keypads.

The DiNovo is cool in a way, but not perfect. Also, IMHO there is no reason top quality keyboards couldn't be made to sell for $50 or so. My current keyboard is Microsoft's cheapest ergo keyboard (Natural Elite) which cost about 30e when I bought it.. but it'd be easily worth 50e to me if they put in real arrow keys and cut the keypad.

This is the best effort I've seen so far.. it's on my "sometime" shopping list, but I don't know of a sales location anywhere near, and I'm reluctant to buy one without getting to touch it first. Also, do you notice anything funny with a certain key? (I'd really wish to know why they did that..)

Comfort Ergoflex:

• Reply 11 of 16
    Looks like apple's coming up with a new aluminium display. They'll probably replace all the powermac/book perpherials to Al sonner or later.

...aluminium mice can be a bit slippery and might not look as good though...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by koya87

Looks like apple's coming up with a new aluminium display. They'll probably replace all the powermac/book perpherials to Al sonner or later.

...aluminium mice can be a bit slippery and might not look as good though...

Just saw the most amazing mouse today ...( I think the brand is "mac mouse" it looks exactly like the apple mouse ie form factor but has a scroll wheel and two buttons. I held it im my mits today and its nearly indistinguishable from apple's mouse - i hear a lawsuit coming on.... I gonna get a pic to post on monday from my apple store techgirl...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    i typed this post using only my graph ire tablet and inkwell just for an experiment today using only inkwell and my tablet | downloaded avd install ed the Gimp 2 and then c awe here to rdce this post its definately slower than a good mouse am keyboard - if only l had some good Voice recognition to back it up ! this has taken about 3 minutes to write _ . .
  • Reply 14 of 16
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

i typed this post using only my graph ire tablet and inkwell just for an experiment today using only inkwell and my tablet | downloaded avd install ed the Gimp 2 and then c awe here to rdce this post its definately slower than a good mouse am keyboard - if only l had some good Voice recognition to back it up ! this has taken about 3 minutes to write _ . .

Sorry to post off topic guys, what I meant to say was...

I really liked the blue logitech mouseman, the one with the glowing blue logitech symbol. It only came out for a little while and then disappeared. I tried bidding on one on ebay once but the bidding got up to around $40 ! a little too much for a second hand mouse I think.

Ill stick with my trusty tablet. (which I didnt use to make this last post).
  • Reply 15 of 16
    i think maybe they'll just change the color of the kb/mouse from white to gray and call it "pro"...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I started using my mouse with my left hand because of the number pad.

I use Dvorak rather than Qwerty.

And I have two very nice wrist pads.

It all makes for a very nice experience. But people don't know what to think of it when they see it.

Now if I only had a 30" flat screen monitor, I could place it in front of my keyboard rather than off to the right. I'd be in heaven. (I have my monitor off to the right because I live in a dorm and my 19" monitor doesn't fit well on my desk)

Alexander the Great