how to use yade x

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
how do i go about using it to rip a dvd? i have no idea how it works and just want to be able to copy some of my dvds to my computer.

cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I don't know how to help you. (YadeX is in my apps folder, but I never used it because it didn't seem intuitive and that is a bad sign in my book.)

So, I'm posting to recommend HandBrake. It has a terrible icon, but is a stunningly simple-to-use application that will perfectly fulfil your modest DVD back-up needs. Version 0.6.0 is out, but it is an unstable beta -- it'd probably be better to work with 0.5.2 for now.

A downside to HandBrake is that it will take ~6/7hours to rip a 2hour film to .avi at 1024kbps with 2 passes (on a 1.25GHz PB G4) and you won't be able to use the computer for anything else during this time. But this gives a very acceptable picture (good, really for 1280x854). And any ripping app will take at least 4 hours anyway. I just leave my PB plugged-in overnight and its all finished by morning. The fans will come on, though, so if you can, sleep in another room. (I *hate* fan noise.)

Remember, aswell, to crop the picture to the exact size of the visible picture (ie remove all black borders). This will make the final file size smaller and the whole process quicker. The film will still play in widescreen with black bars at the top and bottom -- so you won't miss out on the cinema feel.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    that seems like a friggin long time to leave your computer just for ripping a dvd. isnt there anything faster?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

that seems like a friggin long time to leave your computer just for ripping a dvd. isnt there anything faster?

There probably is, but dude- don't you sleep? Do it at night.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    no, im a robot!

im using handbrake right now. its seems to work just fine while doing other things. i have to agree, as long as everything turns out fine, this is a much easier program to figure out.