firewire HD for back up purpose-any suggestion?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
as above, any idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    I've got a Lacie 80 gig Studio Drive. They are damn fast and very reliable (and cheap!!) but the 7200 rpm drive is really noisy!! (and surprisingly large) If you want it in a music studio, forget it! Baring a big sale by someone else I thiink they are the best deal...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm tempted by LaCie's 160Gb 5400rpm external firewire drive as an mp3 jukebox for home. Works out at £340 inc vat. They also do a 120Gb 5400 for £245. (the £/$ conversion is probably irrelevant, as UK stuff always seems to be a bit more expensive than necessary).

I'd certainly agree that the LaCie's look the best deal at the mo. any thoughts on the 5400/7200 conundrum?

Hang loose

G

----------------

London: gloriously sunny

Now playing: Song for my father/Horace Silver
  • Reply 3 of 5
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    the owc cases tend to be rated the fastest. You can buy them with a drive installed or just get the case and buy your own drive. <a href="http://www.macsales.com"; target="_blank">other world computing</a>

PS, their sales reps are the most friendly I have ever talked to. I've had some interesting comversation with the guys there....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I ve got a Maxtor 80 Gig 7200 RPM drive. It's fast, mounts seamlessly in X, but it's noisy as hell.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've got a ClubMac brandd 60GB 7200rpm drive and it's been great (and was fairly cheap). The only problem, which it seems like is the problem with most drives, it's really loud.