How do you delete locked folders?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yeah I am not sure how they got locked but I want them gone...any advice would be great...and no, Get Info does nothing...I have tried even downloading software that shreds files...nope...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Are you comfortable with the terminal?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    ha! Nope
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Oops I forgot to ask heh, You are in OS X right?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Yeah I am not sure how they got locked but I want them gone...any advice would be great...and no, Get Info does nothing...I have tried even downloading software that shreds files...nope...

What do you mean "Get Info does nothing?" If you get info on a locked folder and you're an administrator, you can change the owner/permissions so you can get rid of it. Click on the lock shown in the screenshot:

That will allow you to change the attributes of the folder so you can delete it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Yes I am running Mac OS X, and that does not work either...the folder has a lock on it, you know, like it would if you locked a file? But yes I am the admin of the system...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Okay, I am going to have to use the terminal, Do exactly as it says and nothing else with this command unless you know what your doing..

Open up the terminal.

Type "sudo rm -dR "

Notice the space

Don't hit return after typing that.

Drag the folder to the terminal.

It will add the path.

Then press enter.

It will ask you for your admin password. Type it out, when your typing it no * or anything will show up, its just blank, but it is getting your password. Press return again after you type out your password. This should delete the offending folder.

If its more than one folder than you can select them all and drag them to the terminal all at once.

Remember Do not use this command in any other fassion than I have showed you. You could erase key parts of your system with this command. Do exactly as it says here and nothing more unless you are comfortable with the terminal and this command.