AHHHH ipod messed up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
eek... well background: some songs in the ipod became corrupted, so I thought I would just erase all the songs on the ipod and reload it with iTunes... So I used Disk Utility and erased the ipod's drive, BIG MISTAKE! The computer reconnected to the ipod and it became a hardrive... I totally forgot about the ipod updator until this point, I open it and successfully reloaded the ipod's software back in. But there seems to be some strange behaviors now, when I plug in the ipod, itunes will start up and update, and right after updating, it will eject.... Is there any way to fix this? usually the ipod would stay mounted until I drag it to the trash.... I know I made the biggest mistake by erasing it completely...

Might have to bring it over to the genius bar to have them look at it. But any input (other then "YOUR STUPID!") will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    iTunes has a little button in the bottom corner with an iPod icon. Click that and you will get the iPod preferences. Reset the manually eject box and that should fix it.

When you reformatted your drive you erased your iPod preferences. You need to reselect them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmm I don't see that option when the ipod is plugged in... the iTunes thinks the ipod is still in, while on the desktop, the ipod icon dissapears right after it updates. and the ipod thinks it ejected as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Click on the iPod icon in the playlist column. A new iPod button will show up next to the equalizer button. Click on it and you get a bunch of iPod options.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    but none of the options include "ejecting after updating"

feel bad about this...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    *Fetching iPod*

The actual option is called "Enable disk use". You want that checked. What is happening is the iPod is automatically updating and ejecting to make it simple for people to use. Some people are not... hmm, how do I put this, intelligent when it comes to computers. This automatically ejects the disk when it is not used to avoid corruption whenever the iPod is removed from the dock. (Some people don't remember to eject the iPod before disconnecting it.) You, being a more advanced user, want full control and should have this option on.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    awesome thanks for helping
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Edited previous post...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    THANK YOU THANK YOU! YAY! now I can run iSync and Pod2Go!!! YAY!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!