Fax Distinctive Ring

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am having problems with my machine running 10.3.3 receiving faxes utilizing my "distinctive ring" feature. I tried the limited hints I could find online by editing with the terminal, starting with "sudo pico /usr/bin/fax" (see: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31111132356616). Without the changes suggested in this link, I can receive faxes on my regular number with the regular ring tone.

Has anyone had any luck with distinctive rings? I have a MDD Dual 1ghz G4. Any suggestions/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh! I remember someone talking about this. Was it in Macworld? I'll see if I can find it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I did try this method with no success. I was actually unable to accomplish this with the sudo command, though. Whenever I would make the change in Terminal, it wouldn't allow me to just save. It would always bring up the dialog box for where to save, and I wouldn't be able to go to usr/bin/ (hidden folder). Only way I could make the change was to open the usr/bin/fax file as the root user from Textedit and save. When I opened the file back up in the terminal, the change would still be there.

Am I missing something with the terminal? Why won't it just save?

Thanks,

Matt