Bush Busted Boycott

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alliteration!

Here

The official merchandise for George W. Bush's re-election campaign on georgewbushstore.com has clothing made in Burma (now called Myanmar), whose goods were banned by Bush from the U.S. as sanctions on the Burmese military dictatorship.

_

A fleece pullover embroidered with the Bush-Cheney '04 logo has a label stating it was made in Burma. The merchandise is handled by Spalding Group, a supplier of campaign products, that says it worked for the last 5 Republican presidential nominees.

_

Bush signed into law the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act, stating that "The United States will not waver from its commitment to the cause of democracy and human rights in Burma." Violators of the import ban are subject to fines and jail.

This isn't a Bush bashing thread, just wondering how you can do this. I thought if somewhere is under sanctions, you CAN NOT buy stuff from there, not just your not supposed to. I'd think customs would check out shipments from there wouldn't they?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Alliteration!

The official merchandise for George W. Bush's re-election campaign on georgewbushstore.com has clothing made in Burma (now called Myanmar), whose goods were banned by Bush from the U.S. as sanctions on the Burmese military dictatorship.

_

A fleece pullover embroidered with the Bush-Cheney '04 logo has a label stating it was made in Burma. The merchandise is handled by Spalding Group, a supplier of campaign products, that says it worked for the last 5 Republican presidential nominees.

_

Bush signed into law the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act, stating that "The United States will not waver from its commitment to the cause of democracy and human rights in Burma." Violators of the import ban are subject to fines and jail.

Here

This isn't a Bush bashing thread, just wondering how you can do this. I thought if somewhere is under sanctions, you CAN NOT buy stuff from there, not just your not supposed to. I'd think customs would check out shipments from there wouldn't they?

Perhaps Bush ignore this violation, you should contact Bush admin to inform him
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Perhaps Bush ignore this violation, you should contact Bush admin to inform him

Haha I know it wasn't bush that did this, that is why I said this isn't a Bush basing thread (and hope it wouldn't become one).

Just read the article and guess I don't understand how trade works with nations being boycotted.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Haha I know it wasn't bush that did this, that is why I said this isn't a Bush basing thread (and hope it wouldn't become one).

Just read the article and guess I don't understand how trade works with nations being boycotted.

Well two pull over coming from Burma is not a big deal : " Spalding's president, said, "We have found only one other in our inventory that was made in Burma. The others were made in the U.S.A." He said the company had about 60 of thefleece pullovers in its warehouse, and that a supplier included the Burma product by mistake."

Honestly no one will be interested by these stories if the pull over where not part of the Bush campaign.

There is always holes in a imbargo.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    that's kind of weird when you think about it too. Like, "most of them were made in the USA, but somehow these burma ones showed up, don't know how, it was only a couple of them"
  • Reply 5 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Why would you expect that they have Made in the USA clothing? The rest of our jobs are going to Asia, why not these too?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I suspect that all of the items were made in Burma and there were just some that did not get re-labeled as 'Made In USA'. I've seen it happen many times.

Spalding Group, although they seem to have worked with the Republicans for a long time, will probably be similar to many other merchandise brokers - looking for the cheapest way to make the most profit. If they were able to get fleece goods from Myanmar for $2.25/each as compared to $4.00/each from Fruit Of The Loom, they would.

Blame can be directed towards whomever was working in the Customs clearance warehouse on the day that those goods arrived, unless ...

There are actually a lot of ways to get around the 'Made In USA' regulations, and people always push the limits of the system. A common thing to do is to source the fabric and manufacturing in a foreign country but do something like not sew the sleeves onto the garment. It only takes a few seconds in a US garment house to sew on a sleeve, or sew some ribbed elastic on the bottom of an unfinished garment - and it's then 'Made In USA'. Of course, these goods are supposed to be labelled something like 'Assembled In USA from Foreign Components'. Doesn't always happen, though.