Easy Question: Best Video Card for +/- $200?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I guess this is more opinion then anything, but what's the best video card for around 200 dollars? I was looking at ATI's 9700 Pro but was wondering if I should go with any of NVidia's offerings. So, what do you think? Also, if you can, provide a link where they can be purchased. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Here is a link from Price Grabber that has tons of video cards under $200 USD. Anything that is QuartzExtreme enabled should be the best one for you. It looks like you'll be able to go as high a 256mb of VRAM for under $200. Not a bad deal. I'm not a gamer or anything like that so I can't help you with FPS rates and things like that, but I use a ATY Rage 128 Pro in my Cube and have been extremely impressed with it's abilities, even after all these years. Good luck in your search, I hope someone can help you more than I.

Just a note, in the future something like this will get a better response in General Discussion, where purchasing advice goes.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Here is a link from Price Grabber that has tons of video cards under $200 USD. Anything that is QuartzExtreme enabled should be the best one for you. It looks like you'll be able to go as high a 256mb of VRAM for under $200. Not a bad deal. I'm not a gamer or anything like that so I can't help you with FPS rates and things like that, but I use a ATY Rage 128 Pro in my Cube and have been extremely impressed with it's abilities, even after all these years. Good luck in your search, I hope someone can help you more than I.

Just a note, in the future something like this will get a better response in General Discussion, where purchasing advice goes.

DMB: The link you posted points to PC video cards... Not Mac. Which is fine if he wants a PC card for a PC... however I think he wants a Mac video card because none of the cards on your link will work with a Mac. On top of that you added the QE statment, which is fine to note but would misslead the topic starter to thinking that the cards in your link will work with QE and are Mac compatible. Common man... it's like you try so hard sometimes to help people that you end up giving out miss-information.

Gambit: Are you looking to upgrade your Mac or a PC? In eather case what is your specs?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

DMB: The link you posted points to PC video cards... Not Mac. Which is fine if he wants a PC card for a PC... however I think he wants a Mac video card because none of the cards on your link will work with a Mac. On top of that you added the QE statment, which is fine to note but would misslead the topic starter to thinking that the cards in your link will work with QE and are Mac compatible. Common man... it's like you try so hard sometimes to help people that you end up giving out miss-information.

Gambit: Are you looking to upgrade your Mac or a PC? In eather case what is your specs?

Yea, true. Sorry about that. Specs: G5 1.8. Graphics card that came with it is crap. Looking to upgrade. Thanks for your help!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Sell your old card on ebay and use the cash toward the new card.

You want to look at the Radeon 9600 Pro PowerMac G5 edition.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Sell your old card on ebay and use the cash toward the new card.

You want to look at the Radeon 9600 Pro PowerMac G5 edition.

any prices?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I found this interesting article when looking around... you might be better off saving up and getting the 9800 Pro because the 9600 Pro is not that much better then your FX 5200. (Well it is a lot better but not worth the money when compairing the difference)

http://www.insidemacgames.com/featur...?ID=280&Page=1

Anyway... just look on ebay.com or buy direct from ATI.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

I found this interesting article when looking around... you might be better off saving up and getting the 9800 Pro because the 9600 Pro is not that much better then your FX 5200. (Well it is a lot better but not worth the money when compairing the difference)

http://www.insidemacgames.com/featur...?ID=280&Page=1

Anyway... just look on ebay.com or buy direct from ATI.

Thanks man!!!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

Thanks man!!!

No problem.