What a difference AAC makes...24 little megabytes.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know this is old news and has already been discussed in detail here, but I'm impressed by the quality of AAC, and how much SPACE it saves.

I just re-ripped my John Mayer "Room For Squares" CD (no comments from the peanut gallery), and saved 24.4 megabytes on my hard drive by ripping it into AAC at 128k! The difference in sound quality is miniscule to nothing, too, over mp3.

I was getting close to maxing out my iPod with all my mp3s, but once I re-rip all my CDs in AAC I'll have a lot more space to play with.

Cool. 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    That's a lot of work but it should pay off in a lot of space savings.

I'm curious to do some home testing of AAC versus other codecs but I need a decent pair of headphones first.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    AAC rules, and so does Mayer...but he was better before every single 12 year old girl in the world started to like him...grrr. I remember the days when I could go to a John Mayer show and not be surrounded by screaming 12 year olds, just people who really appreciate good song writing, singing, and music. Ahh, those were the days.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

AAC rules, and so does Mayer...but he was better before every single 12 year old girl in the world started to like him...grrr. I remember the days when I could go to a John Mayer show and not be surrounded by screaming 12 year olds, just people who really appreciate good song writing, singing, and music. Ahh, those were the days.

i remember when i could go to a dave matthews band concert and say the same thing.

only problem is when i could do that, i too was 12 \
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution

i remember when i could go to a dave matthews band concert and say the same thing.

only problem is when i could do that, i too was 12 \

haha...me too. The first time I saw them was in 98...when I was in 7th grade or something like that, before they were as huge as they have been in the past few years. A lot has changed since than, they are a different band now. But I still love them, I'm goin to see them for the 19th time this summer

Back OT...AAC rules...blah blah blah.

AAC really does have better quality though, I love it. And 24 less MB per album does add up!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

haha...me too. The first time I saw them was in 98...when I was in 7th grade or something like that, before they were as huge as they have been in the past few years. A lot has changed since than, they are a different band now. But I still love them, I'm goin to see them for the 19th time this summer

Back OT...AAC rules...blah blah blah.

AAC really does have better quality though, I love it. And 24 less MB per album does add up!

seeing them for the 13th time in august

Apple's AAC encoder produces a fuzzy noise effect once in a blue moon for me....it's pretty weird. not really sure why it does that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Screaming preteens at concerts are the bane of concert going. Sane people don't spend money to stand in the audience and scream incessantly like idiots.