Hosting Company: 1and1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just saw their double-page spread in the latest issue of WIRED and have been checking out their site. I'm currently hosted by Earthlink, paying three times more for TONS less features. I anticipate switching very, very soon.

Anybody have personal experience with this company? Here's the link:

http://www.1and1.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I havn't used them that long but they are pretty good. I wouldn't say amazing, just because I'm bothered I can't pick my ftp name to ftp there with, but otherwise, they are very good I'd say.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've been pretty pleased with my web hosting service through Aplus.net, but recently I've been thinking about hosting a fairly large database on my web site, one that could easily use up a gig of space, and Aplus wanted another $35/month to add a gig to my current $20/month plan that has 300MB.

I see that 1and1's $20/month plan starts with a whole 2000MB, nearly 2 gig of space. I have to admit that's tempting. At the very least, I'm inclined to contact Aplus and say "Hey, you wanna give me a gig or two for free and keep my business?".

Without the extra disk space on my web server, I've been thinking that I'd have to host this large database on my home system, with my web site having to remotely access the database on my home computer -- which would be much slower than accessing it locally, and more prone to failure.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Another 1and1 thread

I know there were more because I made one, but who knows what happend to it, so that is the only one I can find.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by me

I see that 1and1's $20/month plan starts with a whole 2000MB, nearly 2 gig of space. I have to admit that's tempting. At the very least, I'm inclined to contact Aplus and say "Hey, you wanna give me a gig or two for free and keep my business?".

I just followed up on doing this, but after presently to 2000 MB issue, I asked the above question a little differently. "What can you tell me to encourage me to stay with Aplus?"

The sales guy replied "Call 1&1".

I said, "That's your suggestion?"

He said, "Yes. Just try and see if you can get a hold of them and talk to anyone."

It seems he thinks that if I did try to contact 1&1, which I'll probably still do, I'd be so discouraged by how hard it is to reach them that I'd not want to switch.

Does anyone else who's dealt with 1&1 feel have feelings positive or negative about their responsiveness? I'm not sure calling them myself will reveal much -- they might be really fast to sell me an account, but then I might only find out afterwards that they were unresponsive.

Since they say they have a 90-day money back guarantee, it might be worth it to experiment with their service, so long as I can do so effectively before transferring my domain name to them.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I just saw their double-page spread in the latest issue of WIRED and have been checking out their site.

They are the largest hosting co worldwide AFAIK, so they certainly are not going to fvck with customers. I have two domains there (micro-account just to park them) and no problems so far.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I just got off the phone with 1&1. While I was on hold (about 12 minutes), I checked out a few things about bandwidth...

[Edit: completely mistaken brain-misfire BS deleted.]
  • Reply 7 of 9
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

That's way, WAY short of what I need. I checked my web site stats, and I'm pushing around 5 TERAbytes per month. While that might sound like very heavy traffic, it works out to around 123 Kbytes/minute... a web page with a few GIFs or JPEGs can easily transfer that much data.

Sorry, your calculation is off by a factor of 1000

check it out again: with a 123 KBytes/min you push 5 Gig/month - if it is in reality 123 KBit/min, it's only 500 MB/month.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Sorry, your calculation is off by a factor of 1000

check it out again: with a 123 KBytes/min you push 5 Gig/month - if it is in reality 123 KBit/min, it's only 500 MB/month.

Doh!

There is that MB step of 1000 (or 1024, depending on how you look at it) between KB and GB, isn't there? I've only been programming for 25 years now... gotta give me a little time to catch onto these technical thingies.

Somehow, someway, my brain decided I had to figure in another K because my web site statistics were in K... Um, err... Anyway, damn, I'm only using about 5 GB bandwidth/month as it know stands -- 8 on my heaviest recent month, so hell... I guess I wouldn't hit their limits very soon, and 0.99/GB for extra isn't so bad after all.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    I wonder what 1and1 answers if you say that you want a Xserve?