Vet implodes & Artshack implodes same day...the irony.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, the very same day Veterans Stadium imploded in Philly...my web site probably did too.

I have been waiting for this day. It was inevitable. Long story, but here goes...

I obtained artshack.com from a man I worked for and the hosting from a partner of his 8 years ago. When our work relationship ended we soon parted ways. I have never heard or seen him since.

I was a little naive about the internet back then. I didn't know that when he registered my domain he registered it under his and his partner's name. So legally it isn't mine, it is theirs. I had not known this until after I had parted ways with them. I have tried many ways to locate him, no luck. And tried many ways to get possession back with no luck. Hard to do when you can't locate the original owners...

Also, the hosting company that I have has billed me only once in the 8 years I have been with them. The one time being 3 years after I got it and noticed one day that my site had turned into a ski supply shop. After talking on the phone with them I paid my account and things went on as usual. Though after that payment I was never billed again. The whole company has been kind of shady. 3 years ago I did a search on the CEO of the company and found many links to court cases involving bad business on the CEO's part. Even found a legal document (PDF) with his phone number on it. I called him. I discussed the situation about ownership of artshack.com and payments for hosting. He said that he'd work on helping me out. He also asked, "How did you get my HOME phone number?". Never heard from him again.

So I guess the free ride is over. I think if I contact them this time they'll want me to pay for the last 5 years...money I just don't have.

I am going to check my domain all this week and see if it's just a glitch (it has gone down before for a day or two). But I feel that this is it. Goodbye artshack.com...

Now I'll probably will register a new domain (maybe my name.com) and get a cheap hosting company (know any good ones?) and start all over...gee, life doesn't get any better than this.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Um... Nevermind. I had forgotten to pay my domain fee at networksolutions...and also registered another domain for security sake...I won't know really if this works until a day or so.

/bangs head repeatedly...

• Reply 2 of 5
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Um... Nevermind.

You mean I read all that for nothing

• Reply 3 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

You mean I read all that for nothing

• Reply 4 of 5
    Yeah, what a disappointment. Someone hack his site.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Actually, you guys may have given me a solution. In General Discussion there was a topic on hosting (1and1). I went to there site and that's where I saw that my domain was available (and that I forgot paying the fee). Got me thinking...

Now I did renew my domain at NetworkSolutions...but next year I'll wait out until the expiration date and claim it back to myself. I didn't do it today because I need my site back up as soon as possible for a job offer this week.

Still ironic. First full-time web design position and my site is down...should be up tomorrow...pleeasebeuptomorrow!

So thanks.