Converting IDE to FireWire?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just recently got my PB and am in the "transition period" between it and my XP Wintel machine. I have a Panasonic LF-D521 DVD writer on my PC. I'm wanting to know if I simply remove the IDE DVD writer from my PC and place it into one of those external drive enclosures that converts to FireWire if I'll have an easy solution to writing DVDs from my PB. I haven't used the external enclosures before, but I'm wondering how OSX will detect the device since it wasn't FireWire from the manufacturer. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Check device compatibility with Apple. Panasonic is a very widely supported brand and so I'm assuming that you'll have little trouble with it. Just get an external firewire enclosure and put the drive in there and you should have no trouble (that is if the drive is compatible with OS X, or if you can find drivers somewhere.)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hanqhanq Posts: 2member
    here's a place to get an enclosure. Other World Computing scroll down to the FireWire 5.25" Optical / 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure Kits section. i've bought two enclosures for my 2.5 hdds that i had and work great.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Another place to look is newegg.com. I just got a macally firewire/usb 2 enclosure for my internal ide hd and it works great.