more songs than room for iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i have a 20gb, but i realized i really cant afford to keep it and dont need all the extra accessories. so, ive decided im gonna return this week and get an iPod mini when they come out (hopefully in the next couple of weeks).

my question is, since its only 4gb and i have 8gb of music, how do i get the 4 gb i like the most on there? do i have to uncheck the songs i dont want? that would be kind of a pain in the ass.

ps. kinda nice "borrowing" an ipod four a couple weeks, made decisions a lot easier. i really dont need the belt clip (even though thatll come with the mini) and the dock seems more for asthetics.

cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You have the option of only syncing certain playlists automatically or doing it manually if you want. Both ways will do what you want - not having to check all the songs you want on the iPod and provide some automaticity in the syncing process. There are a bunch of threads about how to do this already. I'd post them, but my wifi connection in this coffeeshop isn't the most reliable.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    make some smart playlists...

if you've taken the time to assign ratings to your songs you can easily make a smart playlist

that is only 4 or 5 star songs.

there's all kinds of creative ways to make some fresh

playlists that will update everytime you sync the mini.

Just set the pref to only sync certain playlists and not your entire library.

Make a playlist of songs that are 4 or 5 stars that you haven't heard in the last 2 weeks or 4 weeks or whatever timeline you want.

Limit the playlist to 500 songs or whatever will fit.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40212220606672
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    ratings..excellent way around this perdicament. accept, thats gonna take hours. it wont be fun but itll make things easier in the long run. thanks a lot!.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    When you plug in an iPod that's too small to fit all your music, iTunes will ask if you want it to make selections for you. It creates a new playlist "based on your tastes" of exactly the right size to fit on your iPod.

Not sure about the algorithm they use to select the tracks, but I imagine it has a lot to do with ratings, recency of plays, and number of plays stored for the tracks in your library.

Otherwise, Smart Playlists are a cool way to do this, too. My music library is over 30GB, but when I made a Smart Playlist of songs played in the last 6 months, it came out to less than 4GB. Kind of makes that iPod mini more tempting!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

ratings..excellent way around this perdicament. accept, thats gonna take hours. it wont be fun but itll make things easier in the long run. thanks a lot!.

i agree, i still have 13215 songs to rate!!!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

im gonna return this week and get an iPod mini when they come out (hopefully in the next couple of weeks).

boy do i have news for you!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    it was easier than i thought though. i thought it would be like changing a song name, which takes bit of time. but, u can highlight a whole bunch of them and just go down the line pretty quick. i did 2000 songs last night. i probably could have taken more time to rate them more efficiently, but i can fix that over time.

ps. ipodandmac- not everyone lives in the U.S., contrary to popular belief.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

boy do i have news for you!

what new?! what news?! what news?! tell me!!! *drools in anticipation, realizes he's making a mess on his keyboard, and closes his mouth*
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

ipodandmac- not everyone lives in the U.S., contrary to popular belief.

good call. (note to self: dont be stupid)