Neat recent information on genetics, mutations, and evolution.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...42_tiny23.html

Tiny organisms (rotifers) that have no males... yet have 340 species. Beautiful example of diversity without sexual selection... must be another mechanism. Could it be..... mmmmmmmutations?

But, according to some flawed mathematical models, pure random chance of mutations would lead to unviable organisms too often to allow a species to perpetuate.

Enter Scientific American, Mar 2004 article on error correction in codons. Very very cool stuff. Essentially, roughly 30% of all random mutations *on active codons* result in *no change* to the organism. Another ~30% or so cause one amino acid to be replaced with a similar amino acid that often will perform the same function, in a slightly different manner. Only the remainder (<40%) have any chance of creating a serious change. *Then* you get into the nature of nonviable vs. improved. Very neat.

So a random mutation has to a) occur on a sensitive stretch, b) hit the first or second element of a codon to have any effect, c) hit the first one alone to cause a serious change.

Add in gene swapping, etc, and suddenly the 'randomness' drops considerably. Self-organizing systems. Gotta love 'em.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    What's your profession, Kickaha?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    {Software engineering, software design, programming language} theory and analysis tools. Yours?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

{Software engineering, software design, programming language} theory and analysis tools. Yours?

Oh, I was only asking because you seem very familliar with several fields of science. Right now I work (temporarily) as a postman. But I'm going back to studying in the fall.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I hope I didn't kill this thread with my off topic question.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

I hope I didn't kill this thread with my off topic question.

Like it had a life to begin with.

Naw, I just read a lot. Sometimes more than I should. (Stupid dissertation and paper deadlines getting in the way of fun reading...)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

(Stupid dissertation and paper deadlines getting in the way of fun reading...)

Huh? I thought that's what dissertations were for? How else could we justify procrastination?

Cool stuff. I like Scientific American. I should get a subscription.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Like it had a life to begin with.

Naw, I just read a lot. Sometimes more than I should. (Stupid dissertation and paper deadlines getting in the way of fun reading...)

You read fast and you type fast? That's a winning combination.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Huh? I thought that's what dissertations were for? How else could we justify procrastination?

Hey, I've been here 6 years, I need the fudge out.

Quote:

Cool stuff. I like Scientific American. I should get a subscription.

Yeah, between that, AAAS Science coming every week, and all my technical journals, I barely have time to read my comics every week! I mean jeez!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

You read fast and you type fast? That's a winning combination.

Wanna tell my committee that?

What the heck were we talking about again?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Are there other "large" animals that reproduce asexually or are these the only ones ?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Was it a sign from God that "Finite=Alright" was playing when I clicked this thread? No, because the Rotarian Bdelloids killed God.

Thanks for the link, Kick, I even posted it to my family page to see if I can get the old folks stirred up in a fiesty evolution debate.

Good stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Are there other "large" animals that reproduce asexually or are these the only ones ?

I believe these are the largest known, and the most diverse. Very cool.

When dealing with parthenogenesis, mutation is the most likely genetic drift factor (swapping, splicing and shuffling are also in there), and these little suckers do so successfully. Keen.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Before anyone jumps in and says it, I will:

This is not proof of evolution.

It *is* however, showing that the pseudo-mathematical models that proclaim to show that evolution is 'scientifically impossible' (when of course they mean 'statistically improbable') are highly, highly flawed.

The mechanisms are not truly random, and they never were... the models fail to take that into account. (Mostly because if they did, they'd suddenly be a lot less... er... pseudo-compelling.)

The rotifers are evidence that point towards a stronger claim that mutation factors *can* lead to diversification in a meaningful way, all on their own.

(Of course, some will claim that they're 100% proof of Creationism, since how could they have *possibly* evolved when mutation-based evolution has been 'proven' to be wrong, and 'scientifically impossible', so I'll just get that out in the open right now as an alternate view.)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Good stuff, I took a course in anthropology once, and I was just fascinated by it. Evolution in particular, But I also got a lot out of our trips to the zoo to sit and record animal activity for an hour

I think if I wasn't so into music, I would consider anthropology as a probable field of concentrated study.

Personally, I never once bought any of that god stuff when it comes to creation, I just think that's a load of unreal...ness. Particularly when evolution makes so much more sense, at least to me.

I often get in discussions with my roommate, he's not a creationist, but he doesn't seem to get evolution either. Like he understands it, but he doesn't understand that it's without design.

Recommended reading, for anyone interested in this stuff, Richard dawkins, 'the blind watchmaker' in particular, is great.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

[url]

Enter Scientific American, Mar 2004 article on error correction in codons. Very very cool stuff. Essentially, roughly 30% of all random mutations *on active codons* result in *no change* to the organism. Another ~30% or so cause one amino acid to be replaced with a similar amino acid that often will perform the same function, in a slightly different manner. Only the remainder (<40%) have any chance of creating a serious change. *Then* you get into the nature of nonviable vs. improved. Very neat.

Not to burst your bubble, but this is well-established knowledge

Basically, three codons form one triplet which encodes one amino-acid. So, like 8 bit form one byte, we are talking about a code with a word-length of 3. The least significant bits (also called wobble codons) can be mutated quite easily without causing too much disturbance. However, the same is not true for the two other codons.

Basically, the point why simple statistical calculations about the likelyhood of live fail is because they only take into account mutation and disregard selection. After one successful mutation has been established, it serves as the basis for future improvement. So, the millions of mutations that led to the emergence of higher animals are not independent in a statistical sense.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Ayup. I knew that there was *some* ECC built into codons, but I didn't realize how elegant it was. Very neat.