Cadillac XLR

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've seen a couple around town....extremely cool cars.

MSRP? $76,200

LINK

Yoinks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Still a major hurdle to beat THIS...

But overall, it looks like a fun car. I would rather have the Escalade for that kinda jack, though.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Expensive cars and middle aged men. I don't understand the desire to own such expensive cars. Gimme a nice reliable car that can hold stuff and I'm happy. I love my '95 pathfinder. Not the prettiest or most fuel efficient but it can haul a lot. We've got a civic for around town driving.

But both of those cars are sweet looking...if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You should see it in BLACK. This is what Darth Vader drives.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

SLK? I love the SLK but the Caddy's competitions more like the SL500.

Would I spend the money on it? If I had it, maybe. According to all accounts it has the best aspects of a Corvette's handling with a really nice interior and an exterior that I think is both more elegant and more cutting edge than the Mercedes (I could never get over all those silver plastic gills on the SL and it's funky Pontiac looking dash). I've seen a few here in LA and it looks much better in person- especially in the dark grey.

I don't really like the new SLK's look- I prefer the older one, even though it's sorta known as a "chick car"
  • Reply 5 of 17
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

SLK? I love the SLK but the Caddy's competitions more like the SL500.

Mercedes has several motor variants for the new SLK. One is the SLK 55 AMG (8 cylinder, 360 hp)...
    Quote:

I've seen a few here in LA and it looks much better in person- especially in the dark grey.

I don't really like the new SLK's look- I prefer the older one, even though it's sorta known as a "chick car"

When I saw the first photos of the new SLK, the "Formel1 nose" reminded me of a proboscis monkey. In the meantime, I have seen some live new SLKs (Stuttgart is the HQ of DaimlerChrysler so you'll sometimes see prototypes on the streets) and I must say this car also looks much better in person.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You know what's sad? I think the old Cadillacs appealed to me more than the new cubist/armored ones.

There aren't that many sports cars in the $75K range that I really like. I find many of the more affordable coupes more appealing...and of course there are the exotics.

Given all that, I think the dated Jaguar XKR holds up pretty well in the dollar range.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

... I have seen some live new SLKs (Stuttgart is the HQ of DaimlerChrysler so you'll sometimes see prototypes on the streets) and I must say this car also looks much better in person.

I assure you that I look a lot better in person, too.

I got a look at the Mercedes at an auto show in Texas recently. Phenominal car, just makes you want to exercise the right foot option.

That AMG is truly a scary amount of power for a car with that curb weight. DB has done a great one with this, just wish you could get a tune up for less than a grand. But hey, if you can afford the car...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

[snip]

**DROOL**
  • Reply 9 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I've seen a couple around town....extremely cool cars.

MSRP? $76,200

LINK

Yoinks.

It's a nice car but for me and that amount of money I'd rather get a Corvette and add some mod's to it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

You know what's sad? I think the old Cadillacs appealed to me more than the new cubist/armored ones.

I agree. Loved the old caddys. My Dad owned one in the 60's. Had those cool wings and on the top of the front fenders were these signal indicators. Little chrome jobbies facing the driver that show which signal was on. Lots of cool stuff. All these boxy cars today make me puke.

Here's a caddy I'd own...56 Caddy hearse...

• Reply 11 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

I agree. Loved the old caddys. My Dad owned one in the 60's. Had those cool wings and on the top of the front fenders were these signal indicators. Little chrome jobbies facing the driver that show which signal was on. Lots of cool stuff. All these boxy cars today make me puke.

Here's a caddy I'd own...56 Caddy hearse...

Not a car to commit crimes in though...

"Yes, officer, it was a damn cadillac hearse with flames on it."
  • Reply 12 of 17
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    This is pretty impressive, car companies are actually starting to release their former concept cars. The XLR was the Cadillac Evoq as it seems. Hope they'll release the Cadillac Sixteen, now that's a sweet car.

Though I think the Mercedes SLR takes the cake, which is no longer a concept car.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    woooooooooooooooaaahhh, that's cool
  • Reply 14 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

woooooooooooooooaaahhh, that's cool

COMMISSIONER GORDON IS CALLING!!

This topic is fast becoming a retread. I swear the Cadillac Sixteen comes up every three months or so.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    The Sixteen crops up because it is such a cool car. That's always the car I imagined Walton Simmons from Deus Ex drove.

As for the XLR, I think it's pretty cool, but Caddy should really strap a supercharger to that Northstar engine. As for the entire "Art & Science" design that Cadillac uses, I love it.

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's a nice car but for me and that amount of money I'd rather get a Corvette and add some mod's to it.

C5 or C6?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Yikes I hate those new SLKs. The air intake is atrocious and looks like a comic book penciler designed it.

I'd rather after an Aston Martin
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    THe XLR is based upon the C-6. I believe that the paln is to have an XLR-V come out in a couple of years with a supercharged Northstar or a V-12.

I doubt the Sixteen will come out; the market for those cars has shrunk while the number of makers of them has grown. Maybach isn't hitting its projections, and Rolls isn't selling as much as they had hoped either. I think you'll see more Sixteen-like styling on the future big Caddies, and I read that they do want to have an S-Class competitor out in a few years.

I drove an SRX recently- it was nice. It handled really well and I liked the interior.