Allow wrapping of certain text when viewing list of messages

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Okay, I think many people have noticed this but I haven't seen any real discussions of it. Basically, if you click on "View New Posts," you see a number of columns: Thread, thread starter, forum, replies, views, and last post. Now, if the thread starter for any one of the posts on a page is someone with a really long name like superkarate monkeydeathcar, and the forum for any one of them is a long name, and the last post in any of them was also made by someone with a long name, that leaves almost no room for the thread title. The title ends up wrapping around so you get lots of threads with three, four, or more lines for their title. In the worst case scenario, even my larger-than-average screen area can't handle it, and only a Cinema display would be able to take the width requirements (I run my display at 1344x1008). Is there any way to change it so a different field does the wrapping, or so multiple fields will wrap their text so nothing gets too out of hand? Or is that impossible with vB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Or is that impossible with vB?

Should be. Just edit the table html for that include file. Whether they will do it or not is another thing. But I agree.

(Do they ever make modifications? I don't know)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Do they ever make modifications? I don't know

Relatively very frequently, yes, compared to a number of other sites. AI's templates are very heavily modified and much of the main pages have been at one point completely rewritten by me from the original files. If you've ever used the default vB2 interface for a good amount of time, you'd see this undoubtedly.

Anyhow, there is a problem with making the name column wrappable. I've tinkered with this before. There is typically too much text in the other table columns for it to maintain a decent minimum width if I allow that. The width shrinks to the width of the single longest word in any of the cells.

I can look into another fix, but I've tried before and I'm fairly sure there isn't anything that works better and still be consistent across most instances.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I have an idea... shorten super's name