Gimp 2.0 ready

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.gimp.org/

I have a question for any Gimp users. Would you say Gimp is more powerful than say Adobe Elements??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

http://www.gimp.org/

I have a question for any Gimp users. Would you say Gimp is more powerful than say Adobe Elements??

more powerful, yes.

more usable, no.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

more powerful, yes.

more usable, no.

Is there any way of getting ahold of the Mac version without having to compile the source? I know nothing about compiling and I dont want to have to pay $30 for the .dmg file from macgimp.com just to try it out.

Honestly, this is why Linux will never succeed in the average user world. Very few people have the time or effort to compile source code, let alone even learn what it is. I want to USE programs not delve into the code. I dont know how to program, I doubt I ever will, thats what the professionals are paid for... or I suppose in this case they arent paid... hmmmm... anywho...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The Gimp can be more powerful then Photoshop... if you know how to use it. And let me tell you, learning how to fully use the Gimp to it's fullist, is not an easy task. The new interface in 2.0 (or 1.3 for all you developer/testers like myself) is much more user friendly then the 1.2 release. However it still has a long way to go. A long way.

I have been using and testing the Gimp for a long time now... it has made so much progress in so little time... I am impressed.

Now if I can only master Script-Fu...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

Is there any way of getting ahold of the Mac version without having to compile the source? I know nothing about compiling and I dont want to have to pay $30 for the .dmg file from macgimp.com just to try it out.

Just use Fink to install, it even comes with a GUI called Fink Commander
  • Reply 5 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Hmm, usability over power...where have I heard this before?8)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Usability is power. Gimp should just drag and drop from a .dmg or whatever format and be double-click ready.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Usability is power. Gimp should just drag and drop from a .dmg or whatever format and be double-click ready.

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 8 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think GIMP is good in so far as it may one day challenge Adobe to make Photoshop a more responsive and "trim" application code-wise, but in practical terms I would never rely on it for work in my boss' studio for example. It's just not mature enough yet / not a good use of time generally.