First one AT, now another...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ars Technica added Mac coverage roughly when OS X appeared.

Now, AnandTech is following suit, following Anand's month-long experiment with a dual G5 (which he's keeping).

It will be interesting indeed to see what the fallout is. I know that a number of PC enthusiasts sat up and took notice when Ars started taking the Mac seriously (and more noticed when some of their front-page contributors switched!). I'm sure more will start wondering about this whole Mac thing when AnandTech's Mac section goes live. I wonder who's next? Certainly, more of this sort of exposure is good, because it's the PC enthusiasts who have been among the Mac's most vocal critics, and they're the people that ordinary consumers tend to listen to.

This certainly is a far cry from when I first discovered the "Mac Web," back when Don Crabb was still writing for MacCentral, which was still an independent site...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I wonder who's next?

Paul Thurrott?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Anand has been turned into a Macboy?

I'm SURE that's a sign of the end-times. Freaky.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, half the publishers at /. are mac whores now, and it's just increasing.

eventually some of the sheep have to notice that their shepards are walking over to a new flock.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Paul Thurrott?

Bob Enderle.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member

Interesting read. Fascinating how unforgiving PC users are to the smallest stupid UI differences.

Oh yes, and the mouse thing again...

Quote: "I was talking to someone the other day who completely opposed getting an Apple out of the principle that their machines come by default with no more than a single button mouse."

Somebody tell these intelligent people already that you CAN use a 3 button mouse with a Mac. Geeezzzzz.

Still, good that he at least is interested.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The quote in context is:

Quote:

The next conclusion I came to was that as nice as the Apple keyboard looks, I still prefer a good MS Natural keyboard. Although I know you can remap the Windows keys to Apple keys it would be nice to have something better directly from Apple. As far as input devices go, Apple just seems to have gotten it very wrong with the G5. The single button mouse receives so much criticism it can't possibly be helping Apple; I was talking to someone the other day who completely opposed getting an Apple out of the principle that their machines come by default with no more than a single button mouse. It seems like a silly reason to rule out an entire platform, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people are turned off by it. While Apply couldn't get away with a single-key keyboard, the keyboard is definitely form-over-function and thus I'm not a big fan of it. Plus, white isn't the best color for a heavily used keyboard.

He makes a very good point
  • Reply 7 of 7
    The keyboard doesn't bother me, the mouse does. I bought a Logitech MX310 mouse and sold mine on ebay. I think I actually profited at the end.