BOMArchiveHelper = "ditto --rsrc"?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone know if the new 10.3 BOMArchiveHelper tool is using the "ditto --rsrc" (/usr/bin/ditto) command?

I'm curious if Apple's new .zip tool preserves resource forks and Mac HFS meta-data or not.

Why is it named BOM? What's a BOM?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    BOM = Bill of Materials.

And, yes, Apple's zip files preserve resource forks and metadata.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

BOM = Bill of Materials.

And, yes, Apple's zip files preserve resource forks and metadata.

If an OS 9 user uses Stuffit Expander (light) to unzip an archive made by BOM (Panther), will they get the resource forks, etc, or does the "unzipper" need Panther, too?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    .. and how does one assign BOMArchiveHelper to open up a .zip file designated for another app? I had a .zip that must've been made with some old OS 9 app and it kept trying to open Classic on me.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

.. and how does one assign BOMArchiveHelper to open up a .zip file designated for another app?

The same way you map any other file format.

Select it in the Finder.

File menu -> Get Info.

Open With.

If you want it to apply to all files of that type, click the Change All button.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The same way you map any other file format.

Select it in the Finder.

File menu -> Get Info.

Open With.

If you want it to apply to all files of that type, click the Change All button.

You may have a little trouble *finding* BOMArchiveHelper, though. It's in /System/Library/CoreServices. I changed all my .zip files to be opened by it rather than Stuffit. I wish I could get something else to open .sit files too...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    So the .zip compression format/algorithms are public domain and thus 'free' for Apple to use?

Does this mean Apple is heading to making .zip the native standard Mac OS compression/archiving format?

Is Aladdin in financial trouble?

Who coded the Archive helper? Apple engineers, or did they license someone else's?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    BOMArchiveHelper? Wha?

Should have named it "iXpand" or "ArcXtreme"
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

So the .zip compression format/algorithms are public domain and thus 'free' for Apple to use?

Does this mean Apple is heading to making .zip the native standard Mac OS compression/archiving format?

Is Aladdin in financial trouble?

Who coded the Archive helper? Apple engineers, or did they license someone else's?

Stuffit does much more than just .zip files. Stuffit Expander is still included with all distributions of MacOS X 10.x. Aladdin has not a hint of financial trouble.

As for the ZIP algorithm, it is ubiqutous in UNIX and Linux. For Windows, it requires a shareware utility like WinZip. I haven't seen PKZip in ages, but then I haven't looked for it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You may have a little trouble *finding* BOMArchiveHelper, though. It's in /System/Library/CoreServices. I changed all my .zip files to be opened by it rather than Stuffit. I wish I could get something else to open .sit files too...

Ah-HA! Yeah I'd tried re-mapping via get info tbut I had no idea where it was hiding. For some reason a finder search won't locate it. Cool thx.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    can one change the comression settings for BOM ?