audio mixing software for os X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i had a search through the forums before i posted this but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been asked before.

can anyone recommend any multi-track audio mixing software for use on osX? i have some samples for a project that i need to mix into something vaguely resembling a 'proper' audio track, but so far searching through the apple downloads site hasn't helped - after downloading 10 different demos i'm still none the wiser.

sorry for the garbled post, but hopefully someone understands what i'm wittering about and can suggest something that will suit my needs...

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Lately I've been using Final Cut Pro just for audio. It is not the best or easiest program to use but I don't have to boot into OS 9 to run Pro Tools.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    there are several:

Mac only:

Digital Performer 4

Logic

Logic express

Garageband

others:

Pro-Tools

Cubase
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I would recommend using Bias' Deck.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    DIGITAL PERFORMER 4

Don't let the Apple bias fool you in to buying Logic. Research DP4 and I think yhou will find it the best option.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'm a DP4 user myself and prefer it over Logic, but it depend on what you plan to do wether DP is actually better than Logic. DP is the king when it comes to audio recording and/or editing. Logic however is much better with soft synths and midi-editing!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

DP is the king when it comes to audio recording and/or editing.

Hardly.

Pro Tools is the standard and most widely used professional audio software.

matt_busher hasn't said how much of a budget he has, but I'm guessing that he's looking for something cheap yet powerful.

DP4, Final Cut, Pro Tools and Logic are all kinda expensive.

Bias Deck LE is $99 and seems pretty capable although I've never used it.

My best recommendation would be Pro Tools Free, but the only true drawback, as Ebby said, is that you can only use it with OS 9.

It's very powerful for a free program though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I was only referring to the difference between Logic and DP'4 really. True, Pro Tools is the audio standard in most Studio's, although for scoring movies DP is often used as well because of it's powerful 'Chunks' option!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Nuendo 2.0
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Unfortunately, using Steinberg products (Nuendo, Cubase)on you Mac is like heading straight for crashville. A real shame 'cause they write some nice software.