iTunes: removing parts of genres

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok i have my music organized so that my 'party' songs have "/Party" added to the genre of each song. i dont want to use the grouping tag because the iPod does not yet support it (it just shows a blank screen if you have live updating turned on, which i have to). anyways, i have multiple genres with /party added to them, and i want to remove the /party and start over selecting my party songs. is there an applescript that will do this easily? i know i can have itunes sort my genre to make things a little easier, but i have abuot 20 different genres that i use all the time and its still gonna take a while to do.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Just search for anything that has /Party or /[insert added genre tag here] and than select all of the results. Press apple+I to get info...it'll ask you if you want to edit multiple songs at once, tell it ok, than edit the genre tag from there. Pretty easy, not exactly the quickest thing in the world, but a lot easier than an Apple script and a lot quicker than doing them all individually.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, DMBand, you must have misunderstood. ipodandimac is saying that he has many different (genre)/Party songs, and he wants to set them all back to their original genre and remove the /Party add-on so he can go through again and determine which ones should get the /Party tag again. If you select all the songs with /Party in them and change the genre, what do you change it TO?

So, if he has 15 songs that are Disco/Party and 12 songs that are Techno/Party and 22 songs that are Rock/Party, he'd have to select all his Disco/Party songs and change them to Disco, then select his Techno/Party songs and change them to Techno, etc. Actually, that shouldn't take too long if you just do a search for /Party and then sort by genre. Just go through and fix each genre. Even if there are 20 of them, it shouldn't take TOO long. It would take longer to find and download an AppleScript.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No, DMBand, you must have misunderstood. ipodandimac is saying that he has many different (genre)/Party songs, and he wants to set them all back to their original genre and remove the /Party add-on so he can go through again and determine which ones should get the /Party tag again. If you select all the songs with /Party in them and change the genre, what do you change it TO?

So, if he has 15 songs that are Disco/Party and 12 songs that are Techno/Party and 22 songs that are Rock/Party, he'd have to select all his Disco/Party songs and change them to Disco, then select his Techno/Party songs and change them to Techno, etc. Actually, that shouldn't take too long if you just do a search for /Party and then sort by genre. Just go through and fix each genre. Even if there are 20 of them, it shouldn't take TOO long. It would take longer to find and download an AppleScript.

actually i have a lot more than 3 genres like that....

i thought maybe there was a script thta was widely used that i didnt know about, but ya, i'll do it by hand before googling it
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Doug's Applescripts for iTunes should always be your first call for this kind of thing. There are a few scripts in the managing track info section that do 90% of what you're asking. A bit of tweaking and you should be golden:

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s.../scripts09.php