iCal: Printing options...Duh!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why isn't there an option to print with the output format for a DayRunner, Mead,Franklin Covey, etc? I would think it would be a no-brainer to put your iCal data (hard copy) into your planner for your desk, bag, purse, briefcase, backpack, etc! Any ideas on why there aren't pre-formatted page sizes for these types of media? I mean really! I would love this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Probably because everyone and their mom has an electronic organizer of some sort now.

I really don't know why though, that's my best guess though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Probably because everyone and their mom has an electronic organizer of some sort now.

I really don't know why though, that's my best guess though.

It would still be a very valuable feature for many people.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I've been compiling a group calendar at work, and printing iCal has let me down: days with lots of entries simply displayed an ellipsis (i.e. "...") after the first item. Not exactly what I wanted!

Fortunately, I was able to sync things back into Entourage, which did a better job. Which is ironic, because I first started the calendar in Entourage, then moved it to iCal when it started to get flaky, putting up multiple entries against the one item (amongst other things).

My best guess is that syncing the data back and forth between iCal and Entourage cleans up cruft in the file, almost like rebuilding the desktop....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I couldn't believe it the other day when I tried to print out the To Do List only and failed. You can apparently only print a Calendar and To Do List, which is insane.

I've said my piece on updating iCal here.

But it is disturbing to note that the Tiger Preview didn't seem to include major new features in iCal. Between that and AppleWorks' continual descent into the software abyss, Apple's productivity software efforts are clearly lacking.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Hmmm. OK, I've worked out that the ellipsis is not just in the printing: the Month view applies it to days that have more than four items. This really ought to be configurable in preferences.

BTW, I wanted HTML output from iCal, but I don't want .Mac, nor do I want to set up a WebDAV server. Solution? Download phpicalendar (along with the full php package) and off you go! Very nice!

8)