Trying to open old Disk Doubler files on Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2015
I am trying to open some old files back from when I used Mac OS 7.5, 8.0, 9.0. The files in question were saved using Disk Doubler (from FIfth generation Systems) to compress them.

I must ask first, am I correct in assuming that file type of DDAP and DDFL are Disk Doubler files?

I'm trying to reopen some of those files. According to Alladyn Systems web site, StuffIt Expander is supposed to open Disk Doubler files. However, if I drag one of the DD files onto StuffIt Expander I get the following message:

----------------------------------------

The file ?Insert name here? does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of the file from the sender or provider of the file.

----------------------------------------

Any advice on how to open the files will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I came across a similar problem recently. My boss with all of his wisdom 5 years ago decided to compress all of our files using DiskDoubler. Now we no longer have the program and of course the files that we need we can no longer open up. I checked for a way to open them up with another program (under OS X) but I couldn't find one.

The only solution that I found was to put the files on a zip and then uncompress them on an old (really old) Mac that had a copy of DiskDoubler on it. I too am curious to hear if anyone has a solution to this problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    espdespd Posts: 1member
    I tried for years to find a way to decompress old DiskDoubler files on OS X, to no avail.

Finally I found a copy of DiskDoubler from 1999 and installed it on my G4 running OS 9 on top of OS X. Works like a charm.

Since DD is incredibly hard to find online (impossible for me, I finally got it off an old backup CD-ROM), I've uploaded it here to share with anyone else who had this problem:

DiskDoubler Pro 4.1 for Mac OS 9

It's at the bottom of the article.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by espd View Post

Since DD is incredibly hard to find online (impossible for me, I finally got it off an old backup CD-ROM), I've uploaded it here to share with anyone else who had this problem:

DiskDoubler Pro 4.1 for Mac OS 9

It's at the bottom of the article.

Very kind of you. Does it really needs a OS 9-capable Mac? Classic won't do the trick?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    In 2004 there wasn't a real solution in OS X. But in 2009, there's The Unarchiver.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Very kind of you. Does it really needs a OS 9-capable Mac? Classic won't do the trick?

Lest there be any doubt, Classic will do the trick.
  • Reply 6 of 6

Thank you for your help, I installed it yesterday in my old G3 and it works, I'm able to rescue all my old work.