older iBook pricing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Now that we have sen 3 generations of iBooks (the white ones, not the "toilet seats"), how cheap have you seen the first gen iBooks going for used?

I need to get an older iBook for my girlfriend who is a writer. She doesn't need high-end graphics, DVD/CD-R, or even a 14" screen, so I figured that a first-gen 12" iBook 500 would be perfect. Trouble is, they appear to resell for about the same price as newer ones! If Apple has the new iBooks for sale @ $1,199, I was hoping to find an older model for <$800.00

Why buy an old one for $1,000 on eBay when the entry-level ones BRAND NEW are only a few bucks more, are faster, have a warranty and have more RAM?

Any thoughts? Am I unrealistic?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I think because apple's supply chain is in such good shae that the # of old machines that end up on the shelf after an update are extremely small... so your chances of finding an older iBook new will be hard... try <a href="http://www.smalldog.com"; target="_blank">www.smalldog.com</a> for used iBooks... I dono what they are going for... but it seems that most people are very happy with their iBooks and see no need to sell (yet..)

hth

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 2
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Just go for the current low end (600MHz). This way she'll have something that'll last a little longer.