Smoking and custody

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think that all custody should default to joint custody but I think that it is in the best interests of the health of the child for a smoking parent to lose out on that default right. If both parents smoke then it isn't an issue. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What if the parent doesn't smoke in the house or around the kid? Would you extend this to drug use too?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What if the parent doesn't smoke in the house or around the kid? Would you extend this to drug use too?

I'd want to see proof that the smoking isn't done around the house and if the parent is caught smoking around the kid if he or she claims he or she wouldn't that person would lose custody.

As it stands now drug use is illegal so taking part in illegal activities should disqualify a parent as well.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    What if they have really good weed and don't share, forcing the child onto the street for Iowa ditchweed?

Think of the ramifications!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Sounds a little harsh. The custody ban for smokers not the ditchweed.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    they really need to just put all children of divorce into a massive state run farm for cheap labor. These children should be sterilized so they don't pass the divorce gene...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I think that all custody should default to joint custody but I think that it is in the best interests of the health of the child for a smoking parent to lose out on that default right. If both parents smoke then it isn't an issue. Your thoughts?

I HAVE A RIGHT TO LIFE AND TO END IT WHEN I PLEASE! I PREFER TO END IT SLOWLY.

And yes, I agree smokers shouldn't smoke in the house...especially with kids inside.

BUT, MY FATHER DID IT TO ME, SO WHO ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON MY FATHER???

On the other hand, I would never subject my kids to what my father (and society) 30 years ago passed as normal. A smoke-filled vacation station wagon was the norm.

BR NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A NEW SIG! HE'S GETTING SOFT!!!

Seriously. You've been showing some white meat lately. Buck up or tweak your sig, soldier.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

they really need to just put all children of divorce into a massive state run farm for cheap labor. These children should be sterilized so they don't pass the divorce gene...

• Reply 8 of 16
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I HAVE A RIGHT TO LIFE AND TO END IT WHEN I PLEASE! I PREFER TO END IT SLOWLY.

And yes, I agree smokers shouldn't smoke in the house...especially with kids inside.

BUT, MY FATHER DID IT TO ME, SO WHO ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON MY FATHER???

On the other hand, I would never subject my kids to what my father (and society) 30 years ago passed as normal. A smoke-filled vacation station wagon was the norm.

BR NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A NEW SIG! HE'S GETTING SOFT!!!

Seriously. You've been showing some white meat lately. Buck up or tweak your sig, soldier.

You have a right to life and to end it when you please and if you prefer to end it slowly that's fine. Your rights end when they infringe upon the rights of others. Shortening your kid's life is a clear infringement. What I have stated here is consistent with my beliefs.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Amish people conceivable shorten their kids life buy not embracing life saving technology. Should we take their kids away too?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You have a right to life and to end it when you please and if you prefer to end it slowly that's fine. Your rights end when they infringe upon the rights of others. Shortening your kid's life is a clear infringement. What I have stated here is consistent with my beliefs.

I agree, but what I was kind of alluding to is that this whole 'save the kids from *insert hazard here*' phenomenon is fairly recent. Seriously, you name the supposed hazard and the US has either got a primetime commercial or acronymic group against it.

What ever happened to personal responsibility? Sure, in the case of smoking we've got a lot more 'public' data in the last 30 years. And yes, it's bad for everyone. But seriously, do you not in some small way smell the push for an Amerian race?

...and you do need to do something else with that sig.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    i agree with that kids should be staying away from smoke...

i wasn't staying away from it when i was a kid...and that was a big mistake...

i was raised by my Mom. She and her parents HATE cigarette smoke. We moved when i was about 10 ½, and by the time i was 11 we got to know the neighbors well enough that they invited us over and vice versa. I spent a lot of time with a neighbor across the street from where i lived. She and her husband are great people, but she smokes. When i was about 12 she had surgery on her foot and i spent a lot of time at her house helping her.

I didn't really notice that happening, but i slowly got addicted to the smoke . Pretty soon i realized that i'm addicted. Since then, i have lit up a few times and that made the addiction even worse.

i'm 13½ now and it has been a year since i lit up the last time, but i still sometimes have cigarette cravings, especially the day after i spend a few hours around someone that smokes. I don't know if those cravings will ever go away

it's such a torchure when i want to light up and it's the middle of a class at school. I get really nervous and that makes me totaly unable to think, and that's the reason i get bad grades.

I feel as if, if i will ever light up again, i won't be able to quit. In 4 and half years it won't be that big of a problem, because i will be 18

-Neø
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

i'm 131/2 now and it has been a year since i lit up the last time

-Neø

If you are on the level and are, in fact, only in your early teens, (and I mean early) then you should be more concerned with MASSIVLEY SCREWING UP your coping skills, than with your health.

Life does not begin to get serious until you hit 30--save the smoking and drinking until then.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If the child is out of the womb, you MUST act to defend their best interest.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Define "best interests".
  • Reply 15 of 16
    How about performing physical health and psych evaluations on both parents and which ever one 'wins' gets the kids?

Or maybe they could just run a footrace...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Put them on Fear Factor. Or how about the Vulcan death ring?