Everything badly due to an upgrade, intentional or accidental?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
1. Dry spell on iMacs, eMacs

2. Overwhelmingly long period since last update of PowerMacs and Powerbooks

Basically, the pent up demand for updates across the entire Macintosh lineup is pushing the limit.

There are two possible reasons for this:

1. Apple is going to simultaneously move the platform to G5 variants between now and July OR

2. Neither Motorola nor IBM is having any success at improving their processors' speed and quantity to enable Apple to launch any new products.

Scenario one is a best case, scenario 2 is a nightmare scenario that prevents even the mac loyal from purchasing new hardware.

However, it's hard to imagine any scenario between 1 and 2. Why, if they have better processors is Apple sitting on these incredibly old G4 product lines. The iMacs and eMacs must be gathering dust like crazy. The Powerbooks are badly overdue. Surely these systems are all going G5 as soon as a motherboard is ready and chips available. Why has 2GHz been the first and final top speed for the G5 since it was announced? What is going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by m3cab

Basically, the pent up demand for updates across the entire Macintosh lineup is pushing the limit.

1. Apple is going to simultaneously move the platform to G5 variants between now and July OR

2. Neither Motorola nor IBM is having any success at improving their processors' speed and quantity to enable Apple to launch any new products.

Scenario one is a best case, scenario 2 is a nightmare scenario that prevents even the mac loyal from purchasing new hardware.

However, it's hard to imagine any scenario between 1 and 2. Why, if they have better processors is Apple sitting on these incredibly old G4 product lines. The iMacs and eMacs must be gathering dust like crazy. The Powerbooks are badly overdue. Surely these systems are all going G5 as soon as a motherboard is ready and chips available. Why has 2GHz been the first and final top speed for the G5 since it was announced? What is going on?

Hmm,

lets see, April first is Thursday, and Wednesday IBM is going to drop the bomb on Power 5.

Apple on Thursday reinvents itself. Announces an all G5-G6 lineup. No I didn't studder, I said all G5-G6 lineup. G6 PowerMacs will not ship till late summer, but orders are being taken now.

On Friday Apple Starts advertising that the dual G6 PM is the fastest personal computer ever released.

Damn, I picked the wrong time to quit smoking...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Hmm,

lets see, April first is Thursday, and Wednesday IBM is going to drop the bomb on Power 5.

Apple on Thursday reinvents itself. Announces an all G5-G6 lineup. No I didn't studder, I said all G5-G6 lineup. G6 PowerMacs will not ship till late summer, but orders are being taken now.

On Friday Apple Starts advertising that the dual G6 PM is the fastest personal computer ever released.

Damn, I picked the wrong time to quit smoking...

Damn. Now, there's optimism...then there's crack-induced dementia.

Get the net, boys...

• Reply 3 of 13
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m3cab

3. Apple is having problems scaling the controller (companion) chip for the G5 above 1 ghz, so is unable to deliver any G5 system above 2 ghz.

4. Apple has planed a "big splash" for the summer/fall with multiple big product anouncements. To do this they had to make a calculated decision to skip winter/early spring updates for their main products to adopt newer technology that would not be ready till late spring/summer.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Hmm,

Well... I've read about the "April 1st" rumor several times today. But if the folks @_Apple were to reveal something *really* big on thursday, wouldn't they have sent out some invitation to the press until now?

Just my 2 cents...

durandal
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

Well... I've read about the "April 1st" rumor several times today. But if the folks @_Apple were to reveal something *really* big on thursday, wouldn't they have sent out some invitation to the press until now?

Just my 2 cents...

durandal

I wouldn't expect anything really big till NAB, and the biggest news at WWDC followed by monthly anouncements throughout till Oct/Nov.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

...then there's crack-induced dementia.

Priceless.

Thanks for bringing a good laugh to my otherwise boring afternoon.

-Antithesis.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Get the net, boys...

Tranquilisers are much less dangerous.

For us.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Tranquilisers are much less dangerous.

For us. [/B]

Screw that - grab a Taser.

Ya can't take any chances with these demented crackheads, especially when they are using G5 PowerBook prototypes to fire up their rocks...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Get the net, boys...

• Reply 10 of 13
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    what are you talking about MAcworld 2005 we will all be talking about the upcoing g7's with suport for 128gb of RAM out of the box. ATI will also be releasing the Radeon 10000, 1gb version that will be a built to order option on the powermacs...at a speed unheard for even PCs. With pixar releasing REnderman os x, there is a new push for animators to move to OS X and ATi wanted to corner the market for ultra highend video cards for macs.

Also Apple will be readying os 10.5 (skipped 10.4 beacuse that will be the last 32 bit update) for a full 64 bit OS. The new ilife suite will move at lightning speeds, 10 minute movies will render at the blink of an eye (5 seconds) in FCP 5, with all of the new optimizations. iMovie quicktime encoding for 90 minute flicks will talke 45 seconds. Creating an iDVD project from iMovie, renewed with extra speed, will launch instantaneously...so fast you don't have time to notice the box that says "opening iDVD this my take a few minutes."

Other enhancements: better voice recognition. No need for the keyboard if you can't type...full dictation support in all applications. (with the extra processing power it makes all the difference in the world.

The minimum requirements for the Dictation will be 2.5 ghz, 4 gb RAM minimum (convinience doesn't come cheap) But the dictation mode is 98% accurate, and your sentences take 3 seconds to appear.

*This must be what it feels like to right for macosrumors. Dream about whatever you want and go!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates:

Get the net, boys...

LOL!

I'll help with the careful pummel-...uh...I mean clinical detoxification through osmosis.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Apple stock rose 1¢ today.