NASA is Awesome

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Link

I think this would be very useful, and could easily be applied to cursor movements without having to move...or have a chip implanted. They just needs to make it easy to apply

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    no more muttering rude comments under your breath to your boss.

(jim lovell) "houston we have a problem......you pinheads"
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Or dirty thoughts...

"(Talking to salesperson) NO, I don't want anything! Well, atleast not anything you're selling..."
  • Reply 3 of 7
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i thought of developing something like that, only taking it a step further. eventually, we'll be able to read brain activity and translate it the way that the body translates it. with this, we can send thoughts using a chip implanted in our brains to others w/ the same chips.

in the same way, the deaf will be able to "hear" by using one of these chips in conjunction with a device just inside the ear. the signals are sent by the second chip into the the first, and then translated into signals the brain can understand, which results in "sound" the way that the ear does. the same will be developed for sight as well.

great to see progress.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, the USAF had a prototype for a pilot to control a plane several years ago. IT was slow, clunky, and prone to error, but the amazing thing was that it worked at *all*.

It didn't use an implant, but passive sensing external to the head.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wonder how well it would work for people with paralysis? If all they had to do was think out what they wanted to type it would be very helpful.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I wonder how well it would work for people with paralysis? If all they had to do was think out what they wanted to type it would be very helpful.

ideally, very easily. however, w/ the complexity of our nervous system (and not even really understanding the brain all that well), it will be some time until this will be put into regular practice. i expect to see it within my lifetime, though. call me an optimist...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Possible, but easier might be to sense the expected nerve impulses to muscles in the arm and fingers and determine where the finger is supposed to move to hit a key.

Or not.

See, this is where chording keyboard rule.