Who's Buying Now?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to get a sense of how many of you have taken advantage of Apple's discount on the dual 1Gig machine. I've been putting off buying the high end Mac, thinking that we'll see a fairly significant revision at MWNY. However, looking at the threads in Future Hardware, it's clear that some folks don't see big speed gains in the immediate future. Has anyone decided to buy now instead of waiting until July?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    [quote] Has anyone decided to buy now instead of waiting until July? <hr></blockquote>

Guess not....
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I decided to wait until jully and see...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    No way. Not until the G5 and even then only if it kicks wintel a**e
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Personally, I'm waiting until after MWNY.

I don't see the point to buying any system that is at the end of its production run. Even if the new PowerMacs only have a small speed bump and a few extra features, they'll still be a more current, faster, and generally better machine.

On the other hand, if I were willing (and able) to wait for the G5 to come out (hopefully in January), I would.

Darren
  • Reply 5 of 9
    My dual 450 is good enough. I tend to upgrade around the second rev or so of each processor generation... so I'm not touching a new system until a g5, whatever it may be, ships... and then only when they rev it once.

My dual 450 is good enough for now, and as much as I would like a new toy, the economy sucks, and I have plenty of other tax write-offs for this year. No sense in spending the money.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    los2000los2000 Posts: 7member
    I just ordered a custom dual GHz

the only changes were No SuperDrive and no modem. I decided to just order it right now because of the rebates and the fact that the only easy way to get a dual GHz w/o the SuperDrive is to order it from Apple that way.

oh...and i didn't feel like waiting...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    [quote] I just ordered a custom dual GHz <hr></blockquote>

Good to hear it! I'm in the same position but haven't taken the plunge. I keep waiting and waiting. 50/50 I'll buy before MWNY.

---------------------------------

Stuck Inside of Nashvegas with the Cupertino Blues Again
  • Reply 8 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The only way I'd buy any of the current powermacs is if they cut the price by 30% each (not including any bundles). If you need it for business and have a big software investment, Apple pretty much has you by the balls, which explains the ridiculous prices for the current specs.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    b.b. Posts: 11member
    personally: if the G5 would arrive tomorrow, I wouldn't buy it until it's a year old and there's a revision b or c.

I remember the hassle we went through with the first G3's and G4's when they first appeared... no updated software, unstable machines,...

My opinion: buy the last computer of a series (wether it's powerbook, ibook, imac or PM)... then apple had all the time to work on whatever was going wrong with the first versions and they're generally cheaper too...

but sure: that's only my opinion. And opinions are like *******s: everybody's got one.