G5 Xserve as home computer...feasible? Pointless?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I?ve been toying with the notion of a whether or not a G5 Xserve would work for home (primarily home studio) use. The only reason why this would have even crossed my mind is because it is rack mountable. I really like the idea of being able to rack mount an Xserve alongside a MOTU 828, Fat Man Compressor and SE-1X synth...wires out of sight, everything in one rack with just keyboard, screen, mouse and MIDI controller to get in the way. I also think it?d look cool

So, anyone able to think of a reason why this wouldn?t work (or why it might just be an all-round Bad Idea)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    They are kinda noisy from what I hear. They are also more expensive. But I would want one too if I could afford it.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Yeah, definitely too noisy for studio use, just go with the powermac.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    They make enclosures that really quiet the down. I don't know whey everyone here is so up in arms about things being quiet. I know I know in audio, but still "headphones" I mean jeez yeah my G5 makes some noise but it pales in comparison to the AC when it kicks on. Anyways the enclosures cost about 1500 too I think, but they are pretty cool. I'll have to look for them.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    If ya want to use a xServe as a home computer, shove it in a closet and run the wires out. Personaly, I'd just mount it under my desk and buy a good pair of headphones.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    So how much noise are we talking...louder than a desktop? A lot louder than a desktop? Approaching jet turbine?

I wouldn't be doing any recording from acoustic / mic sources, so that wouldn't be an issue...but there is definitely a point of too much background computer fan noise make Homer go crazy.

I wonder if anybody is using them for live PAs...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I run a Dual 1.25 Xserver as part of my test kit on my desktop and I do't find it any nosier that the MDD's.

Go for it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I run a Dual 1.25 Xserver as part of my test kit on my desktop and I do't find it any nosier that the MDD's.

Go for it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Wow an echo. I know its April 1 (here at least) but WTF!

Dobby.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I want to see the Xserve made it to the AppleStore.

I only saw them in MacWorld Expo.. that's it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    nothing can be louder than my emac. i promise.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

nothing can be louder than my emac. i promise.

MDD = loudest computer ever built.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

So how much noise are we talking...louder than a desktop? A lot louder than a desktop? Approaching jet turbine?

From what I've heard, yes. A lot louder than a desktop.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

MDD = loudest computer ever built.

really? I have one next to me... not that bad...acceptable.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The Xserves are definately much louder than just about any desktop machine. Typically, they are even louder than the MDD (leafblower G4).

For some people, this noise is acceptable. For an audio studio, it would make recording a real pain without additional special casing or lengthy calbing to a sound booth.

Also, keep in mind that Xserves are absolutely huge! They are much deeper (28 inches without connectors) than just about any _audio_ rack mount cabinet.

It would technically be useable for your purposes but also less suitable than a desktop enclosure. It may look small and unobtrusive in the pictures but in person, Xservers are extremely loud and huge. I can't stress the ambient noise factor enough. Also, do you really want a 30 plus inch deep cabinet?

Take out a tape measure and look at how deep 30 inches is!

But... damn they look cool. 8)