Connecting to Shared Drives at Login

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey folks -

I'll bet this is an easy question: How do I get the Mac to automatically connect to a shared drive (SAMBA drive in this case) when I login?

Thanks.

jas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonvp

Hey folks -

I'll bet this is an easy question: How do I get the Mac to automatically connect to a shared drive (SAMBA drive in this case) when I login?

Thanks.

jas

(1) Mount the drive ? make sure that you get it to save the password when you get the authentication dialog box, otherwise it will ask for this every time you log in;

(2) Open System Preferences, and then Accounts section, and then the Startup items tab.

(3) Drag the device from the Desktop onto the Startup Items list.

Done.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jasonvpjasonvp Posts: 33member
    OK, I suspect I made a mistake. The device's icon doesn't show up on my desktop as I have that disabled (I hate desktops cluttered with icons.) So I grabbed it from the Finder window instead. When I dropped it into the startup section, I got the same crumpling effect as if I were throwing it into the trash. It disappeared from the finder, but was still mounted (checked with df.)

So I reboot. The device doesn't show up in the finder automatically. I remount it with command-K, and it still doesn't show in the finder, but df shows it.

I'm confused. :-)

Here's another newbie question, completely off-topic. My sound output device always defaults to the built-in speaker. I keep changing it to digital out, but every time I reboot, it goes back to the speaker. Do I have to make the change as the admin account?

Thanks.

jas
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonvp

OK, I suspect I made a mistake. The device's icon doesn't show up on my desktop as I have that disabled (I hate desktops cluttered with icons.) So I grabbed it from the Finder window instead. When I dropped it into the startup section, I got the same crumpling effect as if I were throwing it into the trash. It disappeared from the finder, but was still mounted (checked with df.)

What should have happened here is that the name of the mount should have appeared in the list of Startup Items. The fact that it didn't means that for reasons beyond my comprehension, you need to drag the volume actually from the desktop. Lameness!

Quote:

So I reboot. The device doesn't show up in the finder automatically. I remount it with command-K, and it still doesn't show in the finder, but df shows it.

I'm confused. :-)

Hmm. I accidentally did this once ? I dragged a volume from the top half of the Finder sidebar somewhere else, and it "exploded". I managed to fix it by dragging the volume back to the sidebar from the desktop, after first trying a reboot didn't work. The system seems to save your preferences as to things being in the side-bar between boots?

Perhaps you should temporarily turn showing mounts on the desktop back on, drag it back to the sidebar, and while you're there, drag the desktop mount to the Startup Items.

Quote:

Here's another newbie question, completely off-topic. My sound output device always defaults to the built-in speaker. I keep changing it to digital out, but every time I reboot, it goes back to the speaker. Do I have to make the change as the admin account?

I only use inbuilt sound, so I can't help you there... sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dragging from the sidebar wont work. if you turned off the option to have mouted disks appear on the desktop, open a new folder, type shift+cmd+g, and then in the "Go to the folder" field, type "/" without the quotes, obviously. you should now see all of your mounted volumes, including networked disks. drag the one you want into your startup items list and youre done.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jasonvpjasonvp Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Perhaps you should temporarily turn showing mounts on the desktop back on, drag it back to the sidebar, and while you're there, drag the desktop mount to the Startup Items.

That's what I ended up doing, and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:

I only use inbuilt sound, so I can't help you there... sorry.

No problem. It appears as though you do have to change it from the admin user login. I guess I should have tried that first before posting. :-)

jas