No G5 at Macworld Jan.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Upon further thought, I have decided that there most likely will not be a G5 introduced at Macworld in January.

If the iMac ships with the Sahara G3, then the PowerMac's will then ship with 1GHz + Apollo G4's.

IBM has put a lot of work into the G3 750FX, so I really doubt that the iMac will ship with a G4.

The iMac's new enclosure, and +GHz G4 towers I think would be considered big by Apple's standards.

Anyone agree?

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: erbium ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    if computer "iMac" = G3 then

display dialog "Power Mac will be G4."

else if computer "iMac = G4 and if god "God" = kind then

display dialog "Power Mac will be G5."

end if.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    I really think we're going to be seriously let down when we find no G5 at Macworld.

I think we should count on the redesigned Sahara G3, faster G4's, a commitment from Adobe, and call it a show.

To me, the above would be big news by Apple's standards.

IBM has been working on the Sahara G3 750FX, and Motorola has been working on the G4 7460. I think we'll see these processors before the G5 makes an appearance.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>I think we should count on the redesigned Sahara G3, faster G4's, a commitment from Adobe, and call it a show.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really think that Apple needs to make the G4 more widespread so that AlitVec becomes more common... So i think the sahara g3s are only for the iBook, which of course will not be updated until after i end up buying one

-Paul
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>I really think we're going to be seriously let down when we find no G5 at Macworld.

I think we should count on the redesigned Sahara G3, faster G4's, a commitment from Adobe, and call it a show.

To me, the above would be big news by Apple's standards.

IBM has been working on the Sahara G3 750FX, and Motorola has been working on the G4 7460. I think we'll see these processors before the G5 makes an appearance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, it's time for G5 to catch up the clock speed
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

I really think that Apple needs to make the G4 more widespread so that AlitVec becomes more common... So i think the sahara g3s are only for the iBook, which of course will not be updated until after i end up buying one

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never thought about that. Figure another 500,000+ iMacs sold would mean another 500,000+ Altivec enabled machines out there suddenly bringing a little creditability to programming for Altivec.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Does anybody remember Apple ever denying a rumor? I'm almost 100% positive they did, at least on one occasion. I think it was within that last 2 years or so.

I have not heard Apple deny the G5. In fact, after the G5 rumors picked up steam, the flat panel iMac rumors took off, we heard about the delay of the 64bit version of OS X, and Motorla announced that the next version of the G4 would be shipping in early '02. To me, these rumor & news blurbs were purposely released to deflect attention from the G5.

- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>Does anybody remember Apple ever denying a rumor? I'm almost 100% positive they did, at least on one occasion. I think it was within that last 2 years or so.</strong><hr></blockquote>They denied the rumor of new iBooks about 6 months ago.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The Sahara chip is not designed solely for the use in Apple machines. IBM has been able to sell the G3 processors in other markets. I tend to think that Apple will move the G4 into the iMac lineup. However they may keep a G3 processor in the low end unit. G3's will continue to be used in the iBook of course.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Darn
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>Darn</strong><hr></blockquote>

darn what?

I think that this thread basically said that there most probably be a G4 iMac, this is a good thing, not a "darn."

or are you talking about the g5s? dunno, elaborate please...

-Paul
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The IBM G3 processor is used in alot of ibm's machines that it sells. I think the CreoScitex Brisque's use the G3 processor. Which by the way are available in 4 processor configurations. So bah on the idea that the G3 cant be used in MP configs.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dartblazer: it can, it's just far from ideal. Read: Highly inefficient.