What's else is stuck in OS 9?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been waiting for Adobe to release an OS X version of Streamline but now I am wondering if they are planning on dropping it or putting its features into Illustrator. I have used Silhouette but it is more expensive than Streamline and it just isn't quite the same.

Streamline is about the only application that I use that hasn't made its way over to OS X. I was just wondering what other applications are still stuck in time (OS 9)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

I have been waiting for Adobe to release an OS X version of Streamline but now I am wondering if they are planning on dropping it or putting its features into Illustrator. I have used Silhouette but it is more expensive than Streamline and it just isn't quite the same.

Streamline is about the only application that I use that hasn't made its way over to OS X. I was just wondering what other applications are still stuck in time (OS 9)?

Streamline is being sold, but it is not being developed. I see no activity even with the Windows version since the Turn of the Millenium. FrameMaker development is a beehive of activity by comparison.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    The only one I care about is NisusWriter. Sure there is Nisus Writer Express but the two programs really have virtually nothing to do with one another. NWE does a better job of openning Word documents than NW Classic documents, and currently doesn't have a lot more functionality than TextEdit.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i have been wondering and asking this question since 10.2.

Illy doesn't do the same nor does freehand. Silhouette isn't the same I agree.

flick.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Flick Justice,

Have you ever noticed that lots of people own Streamline but very few people actually use it. It seems to me that many people don't even know how to use it let alone use it to it's full potential. Streamline is a great program and in the proper hands it can do some very cool things. In the wrong hands it can do some really ugly things.

Mr. Me,

Who said Adobe is selling Streamline? Yes, I have heard that "rumor" before but I have never read anything official from Adobe stating that they will not be moving Streamline to OS X or that they are selling it. I am curious as to where you read or heard this. In fact I don't remember ever hearing anything concerning Streamline and OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I used to be a streamline junkie, now I only use flash...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Mr. Me,

Who said Adobe is selling Streamline? Yes, I have heard that "rumor" before but I have never read anything official from Adobe stating that they will not be moving Streamline to OS X or that they are selling it. I am curious as to where you read or heard this. In fact I don't remember ever hearing anything concerning Streamline and OS X.

You misunderstood. Streamline is available for sale as a commercial product. It has not been updated since the mid- to late-1990's. Neither the Mac nor the Windows versions have been updated since then. I spell that a-b-a-n-d-o-n-e-d p-r-o-d-u-c-t.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I have about 6 mac clients stuf on OS 9 as they need to browse FDF forms and PDFs in the browser and he 3rd party plug-in (which is really good) doesn't do this (it does most PDFs but not the ones my clients read).

Adobe needs to release this plug-in for OS X. Their excuse was a timing issue with product release and them not getting access to source code/dev code soon enough.

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    What I want to know is.. Where is Macromedia Fontographer? How are we supposed to make fonts now?!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

What I want to know is.. Where is Macromedia Fontographer? How are we supposed to make fonts now?!

FontLab.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

FontLab.

Hmm. Never heard of it. Do you use it? Is it good?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I too miss Fontographer. It is like Streamline, a good application that has been forgotten. Some people will tell you that Macromedia is dumping it but nothing has been said officially that I have heard.

Fontlab is okay but it feels a little to much like a Windows application to me. It has gotten better and I hope it will continue to get better. I believe it is a little more powerful than Fontographer (it is updated regularly where as Fontographer isn't) but I still prefer Fontographer.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

I too miss Fontographer. It is like Streamline, a good application that has been forgotten. Some people will tell you that Macromedia is dumping it but nothing has been said officially that I have heard.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything officially either, but I doubt they will develop it anymore. It doesn't really fit into their strategy of developing killer web products. Oh well. It was really nice while it lasted.